The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Looking for Broadband provider

Post by AndyMinx »

Morning all!
I think this has been discussed before but I'm not sure so here goes anyway!

At the moment we're currently using AOL's Gold package (2MB connection) but at £24.99 a month its a bit hefty for what we use!

A check on the BT checker says our line can handle upto about 5MB connections so does anyone have any ideas of who else can provide a better service?
Well most people probably would when you look at AOl but thats a different story! :lol:

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,
Andy M.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

First port of call:

http://www.adslguide.co.uk

Everyone on here has had different experience of their ISPs. I had no probs whatsoever with Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange until last weekend but after four days of calls and being on hold on the tech support line, they are now sending me a new modem for free. Some people think BT are ok but the reliability seems to vary around the country. Obviously most ISPs are just re-selling BT's own broadband (cheaper) on the basis they and not BT provide the support.

NTL is an interesting one, with some people full of praise for the low cost and good service and others livid at NTL's abysmal customer service record :dunno:

Whatever you do, just dont go to AOHell :lol:

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

hehehehehehehehe - Cox.net - 35.00usd a month and its the dogs

Oh....sorry only available on this side of the pond :wink: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Andy et al - the Devil made me do it

Leif :bandit:

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Post by AndyMinx »

Cheers for that Toby, though sadly we are already on AOL! :sad:

I'll look into it!

Cheers,
Andy M.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Leif,

You are just as cruel as Kimber who shows those Cox.net downloading screenshots :tuttut:

Ian

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Sorry folks - we're fortunate that Cox does a single point access for everything here in Vegas......TV,Puter the whole schmeer, whats hilarious is it all runs of a MAC wireless hub

Leif

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Andy,

I get 5Mb download speed from my 8Mb BTInternet connection.

I doubt that anyone is going to improve on the speed since that is related to distance from the exchange.

So you are left with shopping for price - depends on your use and whether you can live with severely capped downloads. I think my BT account has a 40Gb per month cap, but that is hardly a problem :lol:

As for NTL, depends if the cables run past your house - they don't here but they do 50 yards away. No chance of them being extended though.

Ian

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I've used NTL here at home for some years and whilst the cust support is crap, the service isn't bad at all.

When I moved out of home a couple of years back, I went with Pipex who were pretty good. I never had any downtime with them at all.

My ex had a BT broadband connection and it was shocking. It always dropped out and the speed was awful.

It's been a while since I did any reasearch on ISP's but the good names used to be Pipex, Plusnet & Zen.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

My BT Broadband has been no trouble at all until recently.

But it seemed to coincide with other people on here with other suppliers having problems.

Not too surprising since BT provides the backbone for a lot of ISPs - they are just renting the network capacity.

[EDIT]

Like CB, I have not looked around recently, but the "good names" used to be associated as such with no capping, better pricing, better help desk.

I think broadband has become a commodity item (if you can get it!) where the details on the service will be the decisive factor.

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Post by Reheat »

I've been on Tiscali for years and am very happy HOWEVER - Sky put a leaflet thing through my door last week.

If you are a sky subscriber you get 2meg broadband FREE! 8Meg ( I think) for £5 a month and up to 16Mb for £10 a month, plus a free wireless router thrown in and also free setup. However there is a £20 connection charge.

For all sky subscribers it surely has to be worth looking into - I'll be doing so myself next week.

Alex