RE: -- I learnt about flying from that!!!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

CT100
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

RE: -- I learnt about flying from that!!!

Post by CT100 »

I was reading the I learnt about flying from that!!! thread and found it quite interesting and I was going comment but thought a new topic might be best.

I would be interested to find out out how people started off their virtual flying.

As virtual pilots did you just jump into a jet and learn from there or do you think it is absolutely necessary to start off like you would in the real world, i.e: flying circuits in a GA aircraft?

I have asked this on another forum but wondered what answers this forum might produce.

The reason I ask is because I haven't used FS for a couple of years now due to work commitments but I want to make a return to it. I was only really a novice pilot and although I still understand alot about the aspects of flying, navigation, aircraft systems etc. I will need to practice flying I guess but I find doing circuits a bit boring sometimes.

Just wondered wether people skipped that bit or find it absolutely necassary?

Maybe some of you are real world pilots so didn't need to do it virtually but what about those that are not?

Cheers,

Chris.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Chris

FS95 I jumped straight into the 737

Didn't use the Cessna much and when I did I used the land now function to get me out the muck.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

mulletman
Viscount
Viscount

Post by mulletman »

well i jumped straight into the default 737 and started blasting around in that. Learnt what things did through trial and error (more error and error).

The 4 major breakthroughs in terms of learning to sim were; (in this order)

1 - Realising what flaps did. Took a long time, but it helped no end. I never thought aircraft did have 200knots approach speeds...

2 - Buying some proper control equipment. Particually the yoke, otherwise i would never be able to control things properly.

3 - The ILS and VOR/ADF navigation.

4 - Learning how to use an FMC/CDU. This lead to all sorts of learning, including procedures, flight planning and fuel planneing.

I did sit through the lessons, but after i had some proper controls, and before the FMC. I didnt learn much, authough it did inttoduce me (properly) to the ILS and Instrument navigtion (having earlier used GPS)
Image Image
Yes...and... I Like my Boeings.

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Always been fond of the sky.

Flew kites and radio controlled sailplanes for along time.
Turned into an aircraft nerd, hanging around at the runways...

Ploughed through all kind of literature regarding all aspects of aviation.

Learned that there was a program called FlightSim2000 and thought, HEY!

A couple of years later I suddenly got myself a new computer.

Reinstalled everything that came preinstalled

Installed FS2002, took one or two flights in the default Cessna, hmmm was that it?

Opened a browser went to Google, sought for "VC10" and "FS2002" and Whoops a Daisy, David Maltby popped up, and through his site and tutorials, this forum and the helpful lot y'all are, added up with a piece of general Googling, I am where I am today...
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Started off with 95 but I had an earlyer version of FS installed with wireframe graphics :lol: Jumped straight into the 737 and I could hardly land it :lol: I didnt actually fly anywhere, I just messed around Meigs :smile:

As for real world, my Dad allways used to take me to Liverpool airport and sometimes Barton. I can remember playing about in the lounge overlooking the apron and I can remember the Shannon 1-11 and any number of 146's being parked up. I can barely remember the Vanguard, Herrald and Viscounts. My first flight was on a 748 to the Isle of Man. :smile:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I used to just take off from Meigs with the 737 and go land it on the ground somewhere out of town.

Sure couldn't get back to the runway....but it was fun :smile:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I used to fly gliders and kept my hand in on singles but started my virtual flying on FS5.........In those days had to go into DOS and type out CD:\fs5......then fs5 again and bingo!!! Meigs Field.......Couple of circuits then across country......a few rollers at Chicago before returning, used to get bored after half an hour, think it was mainly due to the graphics or rather the restriction of it. Strangely enough.....I never flew in Britain!! :think:

Left MFS then returned when FS2000 appeared....... upgraded to 2004 and it was sometime after coming onto the internet that I found out there were some fantastic aircraft to be had...............for free!! :dance:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

dswanson
Trident
Trident

learn

Post by dswanson »

Hi Chris,

The beauty of flight sim is that you can cheat until you get it right - and why not ??

Many flightsimmers are "qualified" to fly more aircraft types that real world pilots and that's the point of the fantasy. I have bouts of freedom when I use the slew key to get airborne to save time, followed by very disciplined flying using ATC and VOR/ILS navigation.

To get a steer from this forum visit the gallery. You'll see people flying under bridges, inverted, 6 inches off the floor - none of which you'll find in a flying school manual !! :lol:

I keep trying (unsuccessfully) to loop the VC10. Hmm, perhaps I'll raise the power scaler to 4x - that might do it ................ :shock:
Regards,

Degsy

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I keep trying (unsuccessfully) to loop the VC10. Hmm, perhaps I'll raise the power scaler to 4x - that might do it ................
Degsy,

Don't think I would want to be around when Tonks hears of this!!!!!!
:axe:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

dswanson
Trident
Trident

tonks

Post by dswanson »

Nigel,

I'd have though that surely a man of his REAL flying calibre will already have acheived this ? :wink:
Regards,

Degsy