I learnt about flying from that!!!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

I learnt about flying from that!!!

Post by Nigel H-J »

OK.....we have all made mistakes when flying....... some small......... some enormous....and some unforgivable ones that would be enough to warrant in real flying.....a grounding!!

I for one am not ashamed to admit my mistakes, no matter how big or small and if you are honest with yourselves at some point during your flights you may also have a cardinal sin to confess so I was wondering whether anyone here brave enough to place their confessions here so as other members who may not have your experience of Flight Simulation be able to learn from them.

After having my computer repaired I spent some time tweaking the FS9.cfg file to obtain best performance and after some time obtained the results I felt happy with then went straight in for my first flight....Luton to Liverpool flying the BAC1-11.

Flight plan accepted I took off cruised at FL12.........Now for what I did I or rather didn't do on my final approach to Liverpool should entitle me to the Plonker of the Month award!!!

My approach and descent along the ILS to RW27 was perfect :thumbsup:

Started my flair for landing then..........*@%#......Yes...... you've probably guessed......forgot to lower the bl##dy gear!!!!!!!!! :doh:

I think that many could learn from our mistakes especially when this C.B.F.S. Virtual Airline takes off especially if there is a penalty clause for mistakes!!!! :think:

Sorry Dave M and Dave B....it was an accident....Honest!!
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Indeed Nigel!! :lol: :lol:

That's a good reason why you have to feel confident in the aircraft before asking for a type rating :wink:

On another note.. yes, we've all done it!! :smile: I keep saying that I'm gonna bin my current joystick and get a new one as the buttons don't work particularly well these days and the one failing the most is the gear button!! That said mate, I always look for the green lights now as I don't trust it so perhaps it's not a bad thing after all :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

That said mate, I always look for the green lights now as I don't trust it so perhaps it's not a bad thing after all
Should have done the same Dave but.........spent too much time concentrating on the instruments and not enough on the rest!!!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's the point though isn't it. Nine times out of ten, the b1oody button will work and out of the blue.. it refuses to release the gear without being hit with a hammer first!!! I suppose I really should buy another joystick but as this one still 'mostly' works.. I'm loathe to bin it (being tighter than a Nun's habit)!! :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Ive done that before :lol:
And Ive also landed at the wrong airport... :roll:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Jonesey... landing with your gear up is one thing.. landing at the wrong airport is careless!! :lol:

Btw Nigel.. I found a solution to the problem by flying only the Chippie or Rapide :lol: :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

mulletman
Viscount
Viscount

Post by mulletman »

jonesey2k wrote:And Ive also landed at the wrong airport... :roll:
Yes did that one, when flying online as a guest with a VA. Very embarrasing. (that said, it was a perfect visual approach...)

I cant remeber my biggest mistake. Im making shedloads in newly perchased microsoft Train Simulator, and as far as i can remeber it was the same when i first had FS. But i have made so meany they all blend together.
Image Image
Yes...and... I Like my Boeings.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Btw Nigel.. I found a solution to the problem by flying only the Chippie or Rapide
Well, what can I say?.....Just shows how much confidence people have in me doesn't it!! :crying:

Still, suppose I'd better make sure on my next flight over to Europe I take a sleeping bag with me.......Gonna be a looong flight!! :doh:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

DaveB wrote:Jonesey... landing with your gear up is one thing.. landing at the wrong airport is careless!! :lol:
My excuse was I was flying VOR to VOR and had to dead reckon the last leg to the airport with only a lone NDB off to one side :lol:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.