RAF Scampton to Close.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

RAF Scampton to Close.

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just been confirmed that RAF Scampton is to close by 2022, no news as yet where the Red Arrows will go but the station it appears will be turned into some sort of community, houses and industrial site springs to mind. This comes after a £6 million pound upgrade five years ago.

It is quite sad to see it go mainly because as an airfield it has been in existence since October 13, 1916 and started life as Air Station Brattleby Cliff before being renamed RAF Scampton, also was staioned there in the 1970's would be nice to actually see it turned into a museum something along the lines of Duxford Museum but the costs would be far too great.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-44936234

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: RAF Scampton to Close.

Post by Tomliner »

Sad indeed Nigel as well as well rather disturbing to see the MOD cutbacks and closures at a time of instability in the world. Up here Leuchars closed as an RAF base although I believe it's being used by the Army now. In addition to those barracks that have already been closed around here, there are two large complexes in the Colinton area of Edinburgh and one of them, Redford Barracks, which is a very large site with listed barrack buildings is due to close in a few years time. I bet the developers and city council are rubbing their hands in antipation of all the dosh they'll make. Of course infrastructure matters such as roads schools, GP surgeries etc will be conveniently ignored. Let's hope that the rural nature of the Scampton area doesn't get swamped with housing. :doh: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Very sad closing an historic airfield. :( Around here they close and flatten the airport, build as many houses as possible...squeezed together as close as possible, and name the main road leading into the new neighborhood after the airfield that used to be there. In this case the road will probably be named Scampton Lane. :(

Brian

grumpyoldb
Viscount
Viscount

Post by grumpyoldb »

If anyone does buy Scampton they will not be able to remove the four "C" type hangars as they are Listed. The runway will have to be shortened and the A15 put back to its original route. And then, what to do with that dog. Rumours abound that it was not planted there in the first place as it was hated by most of the Squadron. I have read that the aircraft will possibly move to Wittering.
Steve.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I thought it was a bit ominous that they stayed silent about the Red Arrows. Perhaps they will use this as their excuse to disband them. This lot are devious enough to do that.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

simondix wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 20:05
I thought it was a bit ominous that they stayed silent about the Red Arrows. Perhaps they will use this as their excuse to disband them. This lot are devious enough to do that.
I don't know, it's a bit over the top to have an airbase for 9 trainers, it's not as if there isn't plenty of room elsewhere and they've moved a few times while they've been on Hawks. The bigger issue is what to do when the T1 goes out of service, there're only 28 T2s so there's not really the slack to equip them.

grumpyoldb
Viscount
Viscount

Post by grumpyoldb »

A friend of mine is serving at Shawbury and they have around two dozen T1's in storage.

http://www.fast-air.co.uk/raf-shawbury- ... hy-100129/
Steve.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I don't know, it's a bit over the top to have an airbase for 9 trainers,
Not only are the Red Arrows there but also presently RAF Scampton plays an important role in the protection of UK airspace as the home of No 1 Air Control Centre.

It is also home to the Mobile Meteorological Unit.

Guess No 1 Air Control Centre could be moved to RAF Waddington and work in conjunction with the AWACS?

As for the Mobile Met Unit that could go anywhere! 8)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Tomliner wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 14:32
Of course infrastructure matters such as roads schools, GP surgeries etc will be conveniently ignored. Let's hope that the rural nature of the Scampton area doesn't get swamped with housing. :doh: EricT.
So it's not just Australia that does disgusting stuff like that. 8)

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

You would think that this country would have learnt its lesson from the Second World War and the Falklands conflict. It takes a lot longer to rearm nowadays.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman