Just Jane

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Mickey D
Viscount
Viscount

Just Jane

Post by Mickey D »

Read it in the Sunday Sun that Just Jane is to be restored to flying condition with the intention of putting her back in the air. This is the Sun, right? So it must be true.
Mickey D
Team SDB Scenery Bloke

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Just Jane

Post by Paul K »

The Panton brothers announced this a good while ago, maybe as far back as 2011. They had secured planning permission to extend East Kirkby's runway, and had sourced the first two airworthy Merlins. That was then - whats the latest ?

Mickey D
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Mickey D »

Only what I read in that stalwart of the truth.............the Sunday Sun Newspaper. :lol:
Mickey D
Team SDB Scenery Bloke

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

I'm sure I read an article in which they said that they have the money and access to the right skills to complete the project.That was well over a year ago. *-) EricT
Ps a few weeks ago a friend of mine had a holiday in Canada,the main purpose of which was to fly in the Lancaster.Not only did he do this but then managed to fly n a Beaver in Vancouver! The Beaver is one machine I've always fancied a ride in.Nearly got my chance in Cairns Queensland several years ago.Put my name down for a flight in one a couple of days ahead but there weren't enough pax to make it viable.So instead I had a trip in a Tiger Moth from Cairns airport.Very nice flying over the rain forest in shorts and tee shirt!
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

The latest information - from the horses mouth http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/about/NX ... Flight.htm is quite old. Whether Fred & Harold live to see it is debatable.

Bob
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

its about 18 months of work from the news reports, we have been under the impression that some time ago it was found to have a cracked main spar... But i guess if you throw enough money at it it may fly...

thomasburnside
Trident
Trident

Post by thomasburnside »

I only recently heard about this hope they get her back in the air be good to see 2 Lancasters at airshows.
Vulcan XH558 DONT Let Her Die She Wants To Fly.

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

I was 8 when she FLEW into Blackppol in 1970, I remember her arriving. She was there for about 3 years. I remember her well, the climb over the wingspar, that smell of old aircraft which I next recall when all the Dan Air 748's flew in after Andy Janes had bought them. Mix of leather, rubber, oil and sweat (Wetherspoons on Saturday night??).

Anyway, she flew in and had her wings hacksawn off to go out by road. That was the last time I saw her in the flesh, and it wasn't a fitting end for a graceful lady.

They have done great work on her so far, even if the don't succeed in getting her back in the air, I, for one, am grateful she is alive and well still.

N

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

When S 'Sugar' was taken from our base at Scampton for the Hendon Museum Just Jane took her place as the Panton Brothers had no-where to store her and loaned it to Scampton. I well remember going into the hanger where she was prior to being moved to the 'Gate' and clambering inside the cockpit my guide was Chief Tech Alf Newton a Vulcan crew chief and also instructor at the gliding club I flew at, he also took me round it after it was all put together as the replacement 'Gate Guardian'. If memory serves me right Alf was one of the crew chiefs responsible for her during rigging.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

steveh
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by steveh »

When NX611 was first moved to Scampton (late 1973) she was owned by Lord Lilford and loaned to the RAF as a gate guardian. I was allowed access to her in 1974 shortly after being placed on the gate, so in the same year I had explored and photographed both NX611 and PA474. Later in 1974 a booklet was published entitled "Story of a Lanc" which documented her career with L'Aeronavale, the flight home from Australia, subsequent flights piloted by Neil Williams and the restoration and move to Scampton. I still have this book and Neil Williams account of flying her which was published in Pilot magazine, both are great reads.