So many aircraft - how blessed we are!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

So many aircraft - how blessed we are!

Post by johnhinson »

With a constant flow of new toys to play with in Flight Simulator 2004 (I'm thinking at the moment mostly of non "British" aircraft like Ilysuhin 12s 14s, 18s, Saab Scandias and a huge range of Constellations) it is so easy to forget some of the earlier aircraft that have given so much fun. There are times when I have to remind myself to wheel some of them out, crank them up and fly.

Recently, I dug out a couple I don't seem to have flown for ages - Rick's Argosy and 748.

I suppose I let them rest because the Argosy somehow seems to have escaped the huge range of repaints that so many other models seem to have had done for them - I have just six liveries installed for them worldwide and for me that feels a bit limiting. Then again it wasn't a large production run so maybe there weren't that many operators. But I have a great personal love for this aircraft as it is one of few types that I have been able to sit in for well over an hour (in a museum) listening to the local ATC and chatting with the engineer looking after it. I was in the co-pilot's seat, my wife in the pilot's, and the engineer . . . well, where would you expect him to sit? Magic! So for a change I made a short-ish flight in Canada with Trans Air watching the sun come up on a wintery morning, thoroughly enjoyed it and have vowed to return to the aircraft soon.

The 748 has always had a small irritation for me - its inability to taxi easily but I know that is a trait of Flight Simulator with turboprops so I don't blame the model or its designer. And I have no less than 78 liveries installed (and I know there are more!) so I can play with it more or less anywhere in the world. On returning to the 748, that irritation didn't really seem so big deal after all - in no time you are thundering down the runway with a fantastic roar that (to me) seems the most realistic and rewarding sound ever heard in FS.

So, to anybody else who has aircraft installed but hasn't been near them then for a while, I say dig 'em out and remind yourself how good they are.

And to all the designers (of the aircraft, their flight dynamics, panels and sounds), I say a very big thankyou for the many hours of work that have been put into giving us all so much pleasure. I know there are more aircraft in the pipeline from various sources. Who would have thought there would be any scope for improvement in Flight Simulator 2004 this many years on, but I know this will continue into 2010 and hopefully for many years to come. Seasons greetings to all!

John

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: So many aircraft - how blessed we are!

Post by Garry Russell »

HI John

Apart from Riddle, Zantop, Kris Air and Air Anglia...all the Argosy liveries have been painted.

Although there are a few minor variations that could be done.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Post by johnhinson »

Garry Russell wrote:HI John

Apart from Riddle, Zantop, Kris Air and Air Anglia...all the Argosy liveries have been painted.

Although there are a few minor variations that could be done.
It wasn't meant to sound like a complaint, Garry!

And oh what a bloomer - I forgot to mention the painters in the "big thankyou".

John

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

HI John

I realise that :lol:

But there are a lot more than six :xgrin:

BEA, Transair, IPEC 2 versions, SAFE, Saggitair, ABC 3 Version, BBA, Universal, Aer Turas, Rolls Royce.

I think that's it.

All released in the base packages..none painted as seperate addons :hide:
Garry

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Totally agree John....always one of the very first i re-install after a System crash/cleanup or re-installing The HDD...... :thumbsup:

As for the taxying....never had a problem on that score..?

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Post by johnhinson »

Garry Russell wrote:BEA, Transair, IPEC 2 versions, SAFE, Saggitair, ABC 3 Version, BBA, Universal, Aer Turas, Rolls Royce.

I think that's it.

All released in the base packages..none painted as seperate addons :hide:
Thanks, I think those are all ones I have seen - not quite all installed as you have rightly spotted. I will re-check . . .
Techy111 wrote:As for the taxying....never had a problem on that score..?Tony
The problem I experience is with setting the throttle for taxi, the engine is slow to match the setting so it is very difficult to regulate the speed. I've experienced this on many turboprops and find the best way is to set the RPM on the 748 to about 10775 - 10200 and control speed with the brake, which isn't the best way to do it but it gets me around. If there is a better way, do tell!

But I hasten to add this thread wasn't started as a nit-pick about either model. I'm completely happy with what I have.

Best wishes,

John

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi John,

Did you pick up the 100 series pack? It includes a 100 srs model and the BEA repaints for it?

Its over in the library http://www.cbfsim.net/library then click on Argosy "Armstrong Whitworth Argosy AW650 Srs 100 Pack 2" ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Have to agree with John, turboprops are frustrating to taxi, but again as John said, not nit picking by any means, just would love to find a way to taxi smoothly as with other A/C.

I would also like to add my thanks to those who have spent and are spending hundreds of hours working behind their screens to bring us the pleasure of flying true classics of days gone by. Thanks Guys. :welldone: :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I find the running away on taxy a common FS problem.....taildragger soon get too fast to handle........but worse with T/P's :'(
Garry

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Guys

Agreed it's a bugger to taxy

thats the way M$ do turboprops sadly. (my excuse)

they work perfectly if you set the config & air file as a Jet but that messes up the panel & gauges & sounds so you can't win.

my next turboprop may be setup as a jet with gauges & sounds that tell porkies as it works great.

I manage to taxy it fine these days by using the toe brakes but you need pedals for that

I still think the 748 is my best model as it's the most complete and most accurate in the way it flies thanks to the rest of the team (i am not the sole Author remember)
we work as a team in the hidden parts of this forum.

without all the other dev's here i would be just producing the model which is not 100% of the download.

DM i think is the only one that does everything (but he's far too clever allround !) :xgrin:

Regards
Rick