Bomber Command

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Bomber Command

Post by Brian Franklin »

I think that you guys might be interested in seeing this if you missed it at SOH. Here's a direct quote.
Guys/Gals....

after WW2 the members of RAF BOMBER COMMAND never recieved a campaign medal, even though 55,000 were killed on active duty. This is a shambles and a disgrace and completely un warranted. Their is currently a petition being sent to 10 downing street to try and get the remaining persons of BOMBER COMMAND the well deserved campaign medal.

Please if you have any spare time and you feel strongly that they deserve this medal could you please sign the petition. Many thanks.

James

FOZ/JFOSTER21

If for some reason you do not wish to sign it then for that you have your reasons. Please dont reply to this thread flaming me or any members of BOMBER COMMAND.

To those of you who do sign.......thank you in advance from myself and also my grandad who was a rear gunner with 50 squadron during WW2 who believes they deserve this medal.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ForgottenRAF/

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Re: Bomber Command

Post by Trev Clark »

I am pretty sure I signed this (online) last year, if you have not done so, please do it now.....before the last of the poor buggers left from Bomber Command miss the chance of being awarded it.

I just checked and I did sign it, however there are currently only 854 signatures, which is pretty poor. Please add a few more from here!!!
ATB Trev

Colin-G
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Colin-G »

Many thanks for the heads up on this, I have signed, my father was an Air Gunner on Lancaster's.

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

Yes thank you for the heads up on this one.

Well deserved but unfortunately as of yet not recognised. I agree with Calypsos lets make them do the decent thing in time to actually give this to those who served, not to relatives.

Fraser.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Duly signed, and passed on to my contacts.

Graham
Last edited by Filonian on 29 Aug 2008, 22:21, edited 2 times in total.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Thanks for the HU Trev

Signed with pleasure....and gratitude

Garry

steelsporran
VC10
VC10

Post by steelsporran »

I am pleased to learn this is happening and will spread the word down here. It was a disgraceful early act of political correctness to deny these men recognition. For those who cannot imagine what it took to carry out such missions I recommend a read of "Bomber" by Len Deighton.
steelsporran

Chard
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Chard »

I have an issue. I can't sign as I'm not a British Citizen despite my the fact that my Grandfather was an a Navigator in 75 Squadron during the war on Wellington Bombers, He then served as instructor in Canada. I feel it should also be open to those who hold Commonwealth, or at the least dominion passports. :-(

I'm a New Zealander of British Decent and I'm disappointed I can't sign my name to the cause, which is a great one at that. :-#

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Welcome to the Forum Chard
You bring up a very good point -- as Bomber Command was crewed from all over thee Commonweatlh should not citzens of those countries be allowed to
sign the petition? and who do we point this out to???

BTW signed this afternoon

leif

steelsporran
VC10
VC10

Post by steelsporran »

Leif,
I have messaged Chard suggesting he can at least do his bit by publicising the petition on any other relevant fora he is a member of. The message needs to be spread.
steelsporran