Thorney Island & Local Area is getting busier!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

John
Concorde
Concorde

Thorney Island & Local Area is getting busier!

Post by John »

Well it's a new home for me and a new job. The best news, for me is that the seldom used Thorney Island airfield is literally at the end of my road. I've found some pretty good scenery over at the outhouse, but can anyone suggest how i'd go about setting up some traffic and aircraft on the ground? Anything post war would be good and if you've any suggestions about the exact period and therefore aircraft I'd be glad to hear it.

Kind regards in anticipation

John

Ps if anyone can suggest some good Portsmouth city scenery, that's fit for the default FS2004, that too would be much appreciated (hey I don't ask for much do I!) :lol: :lol:
Last edited by John on 26 Jul 2008, 09:22, edited 2 times in total.
never give up, never surrender

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Thorney Island

Post by DaveB »

Hi John :)

Setting up AI to run around Thorney shouldn't be too difficult. If you're au fait with Ttools.. you're already there. If you're not.. well, I don't have time to explain how to go about it now :lol:

There was/is a file kicking around called porthigh.zip (Portsmouth Highrise) which is for FS2004. Not sure if it's for VFR or default so throw that zip name into the search engine at Allnodes just to make sure ;-) I use it with VFRPhoto hence my uncertainty.

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

John wrote:Ps if anyone can suggest some good Portsmouth city scenery, that's fit for the default FS2004, that too would be much appreciated (hey I don't ask for much do I!) :lol: :lol:
I agree with Dave about Portsmouth Highrise for FS2004 - it really is worth having if you know the local landmarks. Unfortunately, the matching Gosport Highrise is for FSX. You might also like SpitBankFort.zip, HorseSandFort.zip, NoMansFort.zip and SolentShipping.zip. VFR Terrain Mesh is a requirement for all the files mentioned.

The coast line around Thorney, Hayling and Portsea Islands is very inaccurate so I'd also recommend Ultimate Terrain Europe or the VFR Scenery to overcome this problem.

Pete

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

Many thanks for the assistance chaps... I have the default scenery installed at the moment (it suits the majority of my add-ons) but I'll check out 'Ultimate Terrain Europe' etc as now I live this close to the coast it's going to be well worth it.

Kind regards as always

John

John
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Thorney Island - nearly sorted!

Post by John »

Well with a good find of some scenery over at avsim.com called 'worldofwight' my part of the world in fs2004 is nearly complete. The new scenery doesn't just add accurate coastline from Brighton right round to past Southampton, it includes airfields on teh Isle of Wight, the old Saunders Row works, lee on Solent, including the Hovercraft Museum with the two giatnt SRN4s and animated Isle of Wight ferries and the hovercraft that do the run from Southsea!

Then with the inclusion of Portsmouth high rise and the Portsdown facilities on the hill it's pretty much complete. Well it was until I found some scenery that adds Arundel Castle up the coast, added in Tangmere and one that adds a whole bunch of Historic buildings! I'm one happy bunny!

Kind regards

John

ps It's about time I played with, and learnt how to use 'traffic tools' Dave ;-)

Southsea to Isle of Wight Hovercraft (animated)
Isle of Wight Ferry (animated)
The Spinnaker Tower with moving lifts
Southsea Funfair and the Hovercraft terminal
Southsea Common and memorial
HMS Warrior
HMS Ark Royal and HMS Victory

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi John..

That looks pretty cool :dancer: I notice that Victory is slightly in the wrong place (look to the right of where the 3D model is and you can see her outline on the ground texture) but it's close enough ;-) I certainly don't have those hovercraft at Southsea nor the AI ferries so I'm presuming they come with worldofwight. Smashing matey :rock:

Must have a look for that freeware Thorney Island too ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Chaps... where did the SRN4's go from and to?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

DaveB wrote:Hi John

Must have a look for that freeware Thorney Island too ;-)
:tab:
Hi Dave

Thorney is over at the 'outhouse' and worldofwight (by David Glaister) is over at avsim.

Kind regards

John

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

XR219 wrote:Hi Chaps... where did the SRN4's go from and to?
Hi Ben,
Well, certainly not from Southsea or Ryde! The hovercraft in the screenshots are AP1-88s of Hovertravel. When I joined Hovertravel at Southsea in the summer hols of 1966, the company operated a couple of 38-seat SRN6s between Southsea and Ryde and Gosport (Stokes Bay) and Ryde with a additional Saturday only service from Southsea to the beach at Sandown, IoW. When I returned in the summer of '67, the fleet was still SRN6s but with an additional chartered SRN5 to supplement the 6s in the very busy periods. The Sandown service had been dropped and the Stokes Bay to Ryde was closed (I think) in 1968. Southsea to Ryde is still going strong.

The SRN4s were far too big for Southsea and were the very large car-carrying craft used on the cross -Channel runs from both Pegwell Bay and Dover Hoverports to Calais and Boulogne.

Edit: Ooops, sorry, Ben, I've just re-read John's post and I see where you get the bit about the SRN4 from. Ignore the first paragraph, the answer's in the second. :lol:
PP

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

Does anyone know of anymore shipping scenery that I can get to populate the Solent a bit more?

Kind regards

John

Ps is there a way I can use the 'Ark' as static scenery in the solent?