Spitfire Reflector Gunsights

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Patron7
Meteor
Meteor

Spitfire Reflector Gunsights

Post by Patron7 »

Someone please educate me a little on the topic subject. I have very good photo coverage of the circular base gunsights used on the Mk. I/Ia Spitfires found in various UK museums.

The just released RealAir cockpit screen-shots of their new Mk. IX also show a circular gunsight (that is perhaps a little slimer?).

The Plane Design XVI however has a much larger reflective gunsight that has a couple of supporting side arms. This unit appears to come a good deal further back into the cockpit.

The RealAir screenshots of their new Mk. XIV show the same circular gunsight used on their new Mk. IX.

Can anyone identify these gunsights and tell me when they were introducted (more or less), and which Spitfire marks would have either (or both) of them.
Bill

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Re: Spitfire Reflector Gunsights

Post by Rick Piper »

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

You might want to try asking 'James B' over on the Shockwave BoBII forum as he has extensive knowledge of Spit gun sights and owns a couple of working ones.
Larry

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

That second reference of Rick's is particularly good. My Dad was operational on Spitfire VIIIs and IXs in 1944-45 in Italy and Yugoslavia and he has always said that the introduction of the gyro gunsight during that time made a huge difference in air-to-air gunnery. Before the gyro gunsight, only a few pilots could reliably get hits; with it, the average squadron pilot could get accuracy which previously was only achieved by the 'aces'.

Kevin