Trooping of the colour flypast

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Trooping of the colour flypast

Post by TobyV »

Did anyone else see it? Nice variety of kit on display, wasnt Tonks in the VC10 perchance :smile: ?

tash
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by tash »

I saw it from a different angle, I was on the TriStar :dance: . I will get some pics posted asap :wink: .

The BBC are showing it again at 18:05 on BBC2 :dance:
If the Army was ment to fly god would have painted the sky green!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Nice one Tash :smile:

Tonks, you sound almost pleased! :lol:

I guess theres a lot of pressure on the guys involved to make sure its 110% perfectly executed, so I can see it has its minuses as well as its pluses!

I wasnt up there today, but will there be anywhere in my part of the world (south, south east, up to London etc) where I could see a VC10 in the near future?

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

Yep, I watched on TV too.

Just cought the ITN News (4.15) where Romiley Weeks (Royal Corrispondant) described it as a flypast of vintage aircraft. Duh!! :sad:

Mmmm, perhaps everything except the Eurofighter could be called vintage. :doh:

Bob
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

TangoEcho
Meteor
Meteor

Post by TangoEcho »

Hi All,

The BBMF formed up in the circuit over my back garden, then disappeared south in V :dance:

They just got back about an hour ago from their other flypasts :smile:

Glad I'm not under the noisy circuit.
Regards

Tom

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Yes, I've posted some shots on the Gallery

crisso
Viscount
Viscount

Post by crisso »

I was very lucky as my present temporary home is just north of Brentwood Essex and stood armed with my Binocs right under the flightpath of all the jet formations. The VC10's RR Conways particularly made a beautiful song as it went overhead.

Taped the TV programme and, for a change, the BBC commentator seemed to know his onions as regards aircraft. Was somewhat surprised to hear him say that the VC10 is regularly being fined for making excessive noise. Better a louder tuneful RR Conway than the 'trying to sound like a castrated ram (sheep)' modern jet engines fitted to current Boeings/Airbuses. (just my opinion of course..!)

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

I just spoke to my parents today and they told me the Red Arrows were there with a Canberra in the middle...anyone know of any pics of that? Links would be fine, although the BBC site didn't seem to have anything.

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

crisso wrote:I was very lucky as my present temporary home is just north of Brentwood Essex and stood armed with my Binocs right under the flightpath of all the jet formations. The VC10's RR Conways particularly made a beautiful song as it went overhead.

Taped the TV programme and, for a change, the BBC commentator seemed to know his onions as regards aircraft. Was somewhat surprised to hear him say that the VC10 is regularly being fined for making excessive noise. Better a louder tuneful RR Conway than the 'trying to sound like a castrated ram (sheep)' modern jet engines fitted to current Boeings/Airbuses. (just my opinion of course..!)
It finally twigged on me today, what the unpleasant sound you get from high BPR 'fans is today. Reading the latest edition of Flight Intl, there is an article on the GEnx engine and it talks quite a bit on how its designed to reduce its noise. The article mentions the characteristic "buzz saw" sound of some turbofans on takeoff. I typically find this noise is heard as the aircraft passes you (i.e. you are roughly at 90 degrees to the fuselage). It seems this is the sound of shock waves streaming from the tips of the fan blades. It was always my understanding that the speed the spool could operate at was limited by the blade tip speed reaching Mach 1, but evidently, at high power settings, the blades do briefly enter the transonic region.

On the other hand, the loud whistly sound of the VC10 is probably due to shearing between the fast hot core exhaust flow and the slower cooler bypass flow (not that theres much of that on the Conway!) and the ambient air - the very noise that modern engines seek to - and are in quite successful in - reducing!

tash
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by tash »

The whine or wistly noise from the VC10s conways is made by the cabin compressors mounted on each engine which supply air for the cabin press. and air con etc. To the experienced ear, it is not so noticable on a K3 as they only have 2 cabin comps where a C1k and K4 have them on all engines.

The loud 'crackle' that you get from a VC10 is infact the jet exhaust going supersonic and the crackle is made up of hundreds of supersonic booms :wink:
If the Army was ment to fly god would have painted the sky green!