Our Queen has Passed Away

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Our Queen has Passed Away

Post by Paul K »

What an incredible day it has been. We watched the funeral from start to finish on TV, and one of the many moments that will stay in my mind was seeing the Royal Canadian Mounted Police lead the funeral procession from Westminster Abbey to the Wellington Arch. They were magnificent.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

The whole event was flawless. Very emotional, but also a huge sense of pride. Nobody does it better, as they say.
Congratulations to everyone involved on a job very well done.
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Incredibly well done. The members of not just our Army, Navy and Airforces, but the Police and all of those involved conducted an exemplary day and one that she would have been very pleased with. An incredibly emotional day for me, but beautifully conducted.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I agree wholeheartedly about the organization that went into the funeral today, and the days leading up to it. I understand that much of the funeral planning is done well in advance, but what I saw in London last week was impressive nevertheless. I suspect there might be some gongs in the New Year's honours list for the brains behind the operation, and rightly so.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

I woke up at 5 Am and watched the entire day on BBC World News. What a spectacular day - just perfect in every way. No one does these sort of events better than the Brits and everyone involved needs to be congratulated from the members of the services to the police and the entire public for an absolutely exemplary performance.

Nigel²

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

The bearers have been impressive from the start. They started in Edinburgh, and carried the coffin all the way through to the end. Well done.

Vowed not to watch it, but sat there totally engrossed all day.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

511Flyer wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 08:55
The bearers have been impressive from the start. They started in Edinburgh, and carried the coffin all the way through to the end. Well done.

Vowed not to watch it, but sat there totally engrossed all day.
Quite agree, I had thought to watch just the Westminster service but ended up watching all the way to Windsor. Outside the Royal Family there cannot have been a more stressful job than that carried out by the bearers. I'm glad that the family finally got some privacy for the final internment in the evening.

I was told that I watched the Coronation while sitting on a cousin's knee aged 1 and a bit. TV technology has moved on a bit since then but my joints seem to have gone into reverse.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I also watched it but not all of it, from what I viewed it was an amazing sight, full of dignity and professionalism, made me feel very proud of being British.

Although as written earlier by some-one here there will be awards handed out, I just hope those bearers of the coffin are first in line, that coffin was made of oak and lead, I cannot imagine how heavy it was but you could see it on the faces of the soldiers.

Now life will continue on as normal but hope that King Charles 111 will reign for many years.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Of course I had to look it up. The queens coffin was most likely oak and lined with lead, could weigh as much as 700 pounds, plus the weight of the queen herself and all the stuff on top of it, it's not an insignificant weight for each of the eight men who carried it, yet they were very steady and did it without showing any signs of strain. I am very impressed with them and the whole process that seamed to go without any problems.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Another image of the day that has stuck with me - Garrison Sergeant Major Andrew ‘Vern’ Stokes of the Coldstream Guards, and Member of the Royal Victorian Order, walks down the Mall on a final inspection prior to the start. He organized the military parade of the Queen's funeral, as he did with the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh.