A very unhappy anniversary ...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

rohan
Trident
Trident

A very unhappy anniversary ...

Post by rohan »

Today is the 50th anniversary of the first flight of the TSR.2 ...

If it wasn't for the bias and personal greed of politicians who clearly did not, and still do not, represent the wishes and needs of their constituents, the RAF, this country and the world would be in very different positions today.

:rant:

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: A very unhappy anniversary ...

Post by Dev One »

You make me feel so old.......I spent 3 years in the Weybridge D.O. on her!
Keith

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

rohan wrote:Today is the 50th anniversary of the first flight of the TSR.2 ...

If it wasn't for the bias and personal greed of politicians who clearly did not, and still do not, represent the wishes and needs of their constituents, the RAF, this country and the world would be in very different positions today.

:rant:
Hear, hear! Well said, that man :thumbsup:

MikeW

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Although, in hindsight, many now agree that cancelling it was probably for the best; it had become a monster: Too many 'departments' had wanted it to do too many things. There was no single 'boss' overseeing the project, and as the individual design companies had merged into BAC, this caused tension/squabbling over who should do what and who should be in charge. It was powered by an un-proven engine with known faults (re-engining it would no doubt have created more hurdles) and it went way, way over budget.

A political/managerial shambles.
Last edited by Chris558 on 29 Sep 2014, 21:28, edited 2 times in total.

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hi,
Chris558 wrote: A political/managerial shambles.
Nothing changed there then!

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I think it looked over expensive because it was the first time that a contractor had to supply a complete weapons system, but also all of those black boxes were designed using discrete components just as integrated circuits were becoming available. I think the engine problems had been resolved & were used of course on other aircraft were they not?
Anyway a lot of money wasted in my opinion - but then I would say that of course!!!
Keith

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

I believed then (and still do) that if Australia had chosen theTSR2 instead of the F111 (which the TSR2 could fly the pants off) things would have been very different, money-wise. On the other hand, the UK still had a lot of Lend-Lease debt outstanding from WWII, and that really was the deciding factor for the UK pollies. Since those days, I have learned that politicians really don't have anyone's interest at heart apart from their own. :((