Want to fly a Harrier simulation?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

John
Concorde
Concorde

Want to fly a Harrier simulation?

Post by John »

Well it's a tad more than FSX!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harrier-Cockp ... a9b&_uhb=1

almost 90 grand more!

Kind regards

John
never give up, never surrender

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Want to fly a Harrier simulation?

Post by DaveB »

I don't think my Paypal account will run to that mate :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

aeroart
Viscount
Viscount

Post by aeroart »

For a less expensive Harrier (FREE!), go to: http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php, and scroll down to ALPHA_Harrier_Set_Fs9.zip.

I tried it. It actually works!

Art

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Well done, Art! :welldone:
I like a man who puts his money where his mouth is.

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

John wrote:Well it's a tad more than FSX!
And it's considerably more than "a tad more than" the price we paid for a real Harrier (XV744 of Transatlantic Air Race fame) which will be arriving at Tangmere soon!
PP

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

It'd be nice to have another sim though wouldn't it Pete ;) We were offered another Harrier at Brooklands but I think the offer was turned down as we already have two.. one of the test beds and G-VTOL.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Certainly would, Dave. It'd go down a storm with the visitors but, watching some of the performances on the Lightning sim, I'm not sure how many would be able to fly it! Actually, on reflection, I doubt many would get a chance as we'd never get the museum staff away from it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

One thing's for certain: there are Harrier simulators "around" that you'll get for a lot less than 90K... You can be sure that the seller here did.

Edit: Mind you, if you guys already have simulators at Brooklands, etc that's probably all the surplus ones that there are?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

We only have one 'working' simulator at Brooklands mate.. the Concorde sim and as Pete commented.. we can't get on it for the ex-BA Captains having fun :lol: The public pay and pay well for the privilige of flying it too as there's always an ex-Concorde pilot in the LH seat. We also have a 1-11 simulator too but I think the chances of that working again are slim. Last time I saw it it was in bits in the back of the Strat Chamber. When I say 'bits'.. you wouldn't know it was even a simulator let alone a 1-11. You can tell it's bits of aircraft but that's about it :(

Something like the Harrier sim would go down a storm there and would be sure to pull in extra revenue but at £90k.. there's absolutely no chance. We'll have to make do with two complete aircraft instead ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

DaveB wrote:We also have a 1-11 simulator too but I think the chances of that working again are slim. Last time I saw it it was in bits in the back of the Strat Chamber. When I say 'bits'.. you wouldn't know it was even a simulator let alone a 1-11.
I saw Aer Lingus's 1-11 simulator when it was in Dublin Airport a few years ago. It had fallen into serious disrepair not having been used for years: after AL had sold their 1-11s they hired it out to some Asian and African airlines that were still operating them. A company at Shannon took it off their hands but I doubt they'll be able to restore it as a working simulator. (More like working lamps: I'd say that will be about the extent of it...) Still, even sitting in it was a good enough experience at the time.