Were you in Cyprus in 1974 (when the war broke out)?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Were you in Cyprus in 1974 (when the war broke out)?

Post by J0hn »

If so - you'll surely be interested in reading this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25496729

Such a shame. I've never been back - but my brother has. With what he tells me of it now, I don't want to go back - I'd rather remember it for the paradise it was.

Time the occupying forces of the Turks got out and left it to the Cypriot people again. Even then, it'll never be as good again.

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Re: Were you in Cyprus in 1974 (when the war broke out)?

Post by VC10 »

I was on the A25 with my father on the way to Brands Hatch for the British Grand Prix

Paul
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I've been there and seen it. We went to Famagusta in 2003 and got a soldier to take us round the old place, very strange. My boss was there when war broke out. His father was in the RAF and he was evacuated from Nicosia by Hercules. I must admit, he tells a different version of events, and how, under the terms of the agreement drawn up, Turkey were well within their rights to defend the Turkish Cypriot community. I wasn't born, but if you take an average of the various books I've read on the matter, there was probably forces at work on both sides of the coin spreading the violence that lead to the war. Interestingly, the people I met from North Cyprus always referred to themselves as Cypriots rather than Turkish or Turkish Cypriot. Also, if you landed on the North side and tried to get into Greece or the South of the Island at a later date, it could be problematic. No issues with having a south side or Greek stamp on your passport if you tried to get into the North of the Island. Its a beautiful place and great people on both sides. I highly recommend it (although not in the height of summer, way too warm :) )
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Ah yes, most definitely. Who could forget 'Helen's Bar' in Nicosia or the glasses of wine for 1 shilling. :guinn: The perfect spot for night flying with diversions to Beruit. Then the invasion came and we were confined to camp (Thorney Island) and were very busy with the Hercs and Andovers. Then we were sent off to join in the fun.

Nev

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

There was a tri-parteit (or however it's spelled!) agreement between the UK, Greece and Turkey that allowed any of them to intervene militarily, if a situation on the island warranted it.

The problem is that, after doing so the Turks decided to remain, occupying just under half of the island and refusing to let the rightful owners of houses, land etc return. In fact, they have sold the houses that didn't belong to them in the first place, or allowed people to move into them who have no rights.

Personally, I was swimming on the beach at the Limassol sea front when the sirens at Akrotiri went off. When they didn't stop, we (that's us 3 kids, a friend and my father) thought it must be a large fire somewhere, but a few minutes later someone started shooting a machine gun down the beach, with people at the beach cafe falling to the ground - taking cover or hit, I don't know, but we weren't hanging around long enough to find out! Our house was about 100 yards from the EOKA HQ, so we saw an awful lot of fighting, though we didn't see much at night, from our 'safe' hide, under the kitchen table!

I must admit, though, I think tourism spoiled Cyprus more than anything else. For a change.