The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

dswanson
Trident
Trident

When the cooler breaks

Post by dswanson »

Hi,

Recently encountered a little problem which related to the cooler fan.

My home built Win7 PC has done me very well for the last couple of years with FS9 running smoothly with all the sliders to the right. Recently, it started to shut itself down after 20 or so minutes flying, with the sim slowing and stuttering just before the blank screen appeared. Concerned it may be something major and costly, I looked inside the case. One of the plastic support mounts on the Arctic Cooloing Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 had fractured so the cooler was no longer pressed flat on the CPU. Nothing wrong with the fan or the CPU face.

Although grounded until I can fix the problem, I'm very glad its a simple problem, with hopefully, a simple solution !!

I've seen this cooler on Amazon for ~£16 but have contacted Arctic to see if they'll send me a replacement mount FOC. Well, if you don't ask... ;)
Regards,

Degsy

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: When the cooler breaks

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I had similar happen with an old intel 500mhz Slot A.. remember the ones.. cpu attached to a riser which slotted into something resembling a PCI slot on the mobo?? It was an Abit board and the heatsink pushed onto the cpu and was attached at the back of the riser by a spring-clip type device. It all looked hunky dory when I put it onto the board but I'd obviously not clipped one side in correctly and over time.. it released itself. Ended up replacing it with a 667mhz slot A (or was it slot 1??) before I realised what had happened :wall:

Good luck with the replacement ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

TBH the plastic supports of the coolers of the current Intel CPUs are an absolute PIA (not the airline) to fit correctly. I wish someone would come up with a better design (Pat Pending anyone?). Good luck with the FOC!

Regards,
Chris

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

I had my mothers AMD plastic clip broke off enough that the heat sink fell off the mobo completely! Cheep ebay replacement bracket and back to normal. I find the latest 2011 socket connections pretty good compare to older style ,ie 775 sockets.

dswanson
Trident
Trident

Post by dswanson »

Hi,

I eventually got an offer from Arctic to buy a cradle for £1 but by then had already got the Araldite out !!

A generous amount to make it stable and secure the nut at the bottom and a bit of drilling to get the screw in got things back to normal. Flying again now :excited:

I was so happy that I celebrated by buying another 4gig of ram, which I hope may keep the scenery a bit more up to date in my fast and low trips through Snowdonia...
Regards,

Degsy

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Steve McQueen gets out. ;)