The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

More Adobe..

Post by DaveB »

Hi Troops..

It's another post about our friends at Adobe :lol:

I got notification last week of an update to Flashplayer which I cautiously accepted. The first screen came up showing update XXX and a download button so I accepted it. To my horror.. another acceptance page appeared showing Google Chrome so I disconnected from the web immediately.

I've had another (probably the same) Flashplayer update notification this morning. It looked innocent.. showed update XXX again with a download button. However, I didn't hit the download button but waited.. I noticed the page was still trying to load (I couldn't scroll down). Some 10-15sec later, the page redrew with a Google Chrome acceptance box ticked (default) :-O The little tinkers! :lol: I unticked the Chrome box and accepted the Flash update which went on fine.

I couldn't say if this is another 'tactic' to get us all on Chrome or if for some reason, my pc was very slow to see the Chrome addition but you know me.. I'm big on coincidences. Clicking 'download' on the initial update screen brought up a perfect Adobe page from their website showing the Flash update number and directly below, the download button.. all near the top of the page. Wait 10 or 15secs and as if by magic.. the page redraws to show the Chrome addition. The Flash update info above and the download button below.

So.. once more, beware what you innocently accept from Adobe otherwise you may get more than you signed up for ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Re: More Adobe..

Post by emfrat »

That's interesting, Dave - the Flashplayer updates I get down here try to trap me into installing an AV software (MacAfee I think). No mention of Chrome, but then again I did download it once to try, from the same IP address that I have now, so that might be the reason.
Cheers
MikeW

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

A while ago, I think I read that Flashplayer was not really as important as they'd have us believe.
Added to that, there was a big question mark over security (or was it stability?).
IIRC, I deactivated it. I then proceeded to ignore all offers of updates.
So far, so good.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Mike(W)..

That's interesting too.. Adobe linking with AV. They've been trying to push Chrome and Google toolbar on and off for ages up here (I already use Google toolbar) but they seem to be getting more devious with Chrome. I swear I've been caught like this before but Peter pointed out that the Chrome 'addon' was a bit further down the page so I must have missed it. It certainly wasn't down the bottom of the page today.. it wasn't ON the page for around 10-15secs or so :|

Mike..
I often wonder about the need for Flashplayer too. I presume various websites use it for showing an assortment of 'moving' images but other than that.. I can't see any usefulness in having it installed. The updates always claim increased speed and security.. the security 'bit' has always made me wonder if I'm letting myself get more vulnerable to attack from foreign bodies by having the darned thing installed in the first place *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

i fell into the trap this morning & was too quick on the install button so got Chrome as well!!! But its not my default browser.
Keith

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I suppose the 'saving grace' is that it's easy to uninstall (even though you get taken to a Google page to ask why you're uninstalling it) but many of us are not on unlimited BB and would prefer for any devious installs to be rather less devious for obvious reasons. I'll bet that if the uninstall routine included sending a virus back.. they'd be less willing to try and fob us off with it in the first place :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

Adobe seems to have gone all screwy lately for me, well Adobe Reader has.

Latest update keeps messing up pdf thumbnails, showing the wrong preview thumbnail for a pdf. I have to copy it and paste back in to fix it. Also seems to have to reload them on a regular basis when I open a folder. Also a horrible pdf preview now when opening a pdf on a webpage.

Just a word of warning.