VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

One for Hobby or any other DC3/Viking pilot

Post by DaveB »

Hi There..

Try taking any of the above aircraft into Sandown for a bit of a thrill :lol:

I managed to get in there but I fear the first part of my flight out may be by road!! :roll: What's more.. there really is only one way out as Gary Summons (yet again) put a healthy selection of trees on the threshold at one end of the runway :-$ He's a very, bad, boy :poke:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Dc3 pilot

Post by hobby »

Hi Dave

Were you fully loaded with pax, cargo and fuel both in and out?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Matey..

The honest truth of the matter is I was running a default load.. whatever that is :worried: Fear not though. Getting out is nowhere near as frought as getting in. :wink: I trimmed the pants off it and sat with the brakes on while the engines came up to full power then let go and prayed. Cleared the soddin tree's by an impressive margin (though there were still bits in the main gear from the way in!!) :lol:

It's one of those awful strips that you have to drop into rather than land on if you see what I mean. My biggest fear was a heavy landing but I shouldn't really have worried as I recorded exactly the same landing at Brum (-44)!!.. another airfield I'm never comfortable getting into for some reason :roll: The other problem at Sandown is I found it difficult to differentiate between which bit was the grass strip and which bit wasn't.. you'll see if you go down there. Perhaps an approach from the south would be better (to see the runway) though strategically placed hills make that no cake-walk either I'd imagine :dunno:

Fortunately, the Viking as a set of *hit-hot brakes.. something my modded, rearwheel steering DC3 does not so coming to a halt could be a problem.. within the airfield boundary that is!! :think:

Without doubt.. Sandown is the most challenging airfield I've visited in something the size of the Viking and I'd think twice about going there in the Rapide!! :lol: I'm sure I've done VA flights to the IoW before but honestly can't remember going into Sandown. Maybe the Rapide destination is Bembridge?? :think: Will have to check :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I don't think the Viking would be used at Sandown real life. :think:

The main reason why Channel bought Daks was for that type better field performance and the Viking like of grass operations.

Not that that means you can't.......it's just going to be more fun :lol:

Garry
[/list]
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I was surprised to see the flight there Garry and had guessed it was going to be a little 'challenging' :worried: Needless to say, I shall not be visiting again.. once bitten e t c :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Well Dave

If you want to give it a go..there are a few spare Vikings if you bend one :lol: :lol:

I made extra just in case you were hungry :roll:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That thought went through my head as I was landing!! :lol: :lol: 'Don't worry Dave.. there are plenty more where this came from' :lol: Personal pride always takes charge though and the overwhelming desire is to get it down as 'quietly' as possible. This wasn't really the case at Sandown as it would be more accurate to say I landed at the airfield rather than on the runway at the airfield :redface: Least said.. soon is mended :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

For Hobby Sandown IOW

Post by hobby »

Hi Dave

That was fun!!!!

No ILS so daylight and good visibilty only. My much modified default Dakota operating in Garry's "Intra Airways" colours at 500lbs fuel on approach and gross weight of 21844lbs took 2000ft (measured on FsNAV) to come to a full stop with an 8kt wind straight down rnwy 23. As you wrote T/o from 05 is easy. The trees on approach to 23 mean that you have to aim for the second darker strip from the left on approach. Wet grass in real life would, I imagine, provide problems even at that low AUW, one has visions of sliding on to the hedge.

I came in over Bembridge NDB 426.0, lowered flaps to 3rd posn and u/c down and flew up the river with Sandown Airport in sight until ready to turn onto heading of 231. I then lowered the flaps to full and completed my landing.

A lightly loaded aircraft is required so that one can stop before the far hedge.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well done that man!! :wink: I think I'd like to turn up the pressure on the Dak's brakes before trying it in that or.. give myself a 30kt headwind straight down the line!! :lol:

ATB

ImageImage