Stowaway Snakes

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Stowaway Snakes

Post by thehappyotter »

I don't think i'd have managed to remain this calm somehow...

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Monty Coles was 3,000 feet in the air when he discovered a stowaway peeking out at him from the plane's instrument panel — a 4 1/2-foot black snake.

Coles had left Charleston earlier for a leisurely flight over the West Virginia countryside last Saturday in his Piper Cherokee and was preparing to land in Gallipolis, Ohio, when the snake revealed itself.

"Nothing in any of the manuals ever described anything like this," the 62-year-old Cross Lanes resident said. But the advice given 25 years earlier from his flight instructor immediately came to mind: "No matter what happens, fly the plane."

An attempt to swat the snake only resulted in it falling to Coles' feet under the rudder pedals. It then darted to the other side of the cockpit.

While maintaining control of the single-engine plane with one hand, Coles grabbed the reptile behind its head with his other.

"There was no way I was letting that thing go. It coiled all around my arm, and its tail grabbed hold of a lever on the floor and started pulling," Coles said.

The next step was to radio for emergency landing clearance.

"They came back and asked what my problem was. I told them I had one hand full of snake and the other hand full of plane. They cleared me in."

After a smooth landing, Coles posed for pictures with the snake, then let it loose.

"That snake resides in Ohio now," he said. "I wasn't about to bring it home. I don't mind snakes, but I sure like to know where they are."

Coles said he was lucky his usual travel companions, his wife and dachshund, were not on the flight.

"If my wife had been in the plane, I wouldn't have a wife, a plane or myself," Coles said. "I don't know what might have happened if Killer had been in the plane, but it sure would have been a lot more exciting."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197976,00.html

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

Nice story! I love snakes so wouldn't be a problem for me - that is unless it was a Rattler or something!
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

Bruce
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Bruce »

Nice story! I love snakes so wouldn't be a problem for me
Likewise, I kept and bred reptiles for years so it's one thing I ont have a problem with.

When I worked for a handling agent we found a stow away lizard in the hold of a flight from the Canaries, I adopted him and 'Ozzy' led a happy life in captivity !

Bruce

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

I assume you are all familiar with this upcoming film?

http://www.snakesonaplane.com/

AndyG

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Nope AndyG

But I am now

What if you were on a 747 full of deadly snakes........ :shock:

Terrifying :shock: , nightmare. :shock: ....imagine that.. :shock: .......being on a 747 :huf:

:worried:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

Quite possibly the worst titled film ever...

Robin
Trident
Trident

Post by Robin »

Oh my good god. :doh: You are joking?

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

thehappyotter wrote:Quite possibly the worst titled film ever...
I read that Samuel L Jackson agreed to do the film because of the name and has insisted that they not change it.

From wikipedia:
At one point, the film's working title was altered to Pacific Air Flight 121. In August 2005, a perturbed Samuel L. Jackson told an interviewer, "We're totally changing that back. That's the only reason I took the job: I read the title."[4] In another interview in early 2006, Jackson claimed that once he learned about the movie title being changed he said: "What are you doing here? It's not Gone with the Wind. It's not On the Waterfront. It's Snakes on a Plane!"[5] The film was soon reverted to the working title of Snakes on a Plane on March 2, 2006.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

That really does sound sh!te... :huf:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

A film with no pretensions to be arty, or meaningful. It does what it says on the can, as they say. It's going to be a supremely bad film so, obviously, has gained instant cult status. Samuel L obviously needed the money, but more power to him for sticking to the concept. :lol:

AndyG