Ulster Aviation Society open day, Long Kesh

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Ulster Aviation Society open day, Long Kesh

Post by clavel9 »

Some pictures from the recent open day at Long Kesh, County Down.

Blackburn Buccaneer S.2B XV361 by clavel9, on Flickr

Westland Puma SA330 HC.1 XW220 by clavel9, on Flickr

Hangar at Long Kesh by clavel9, on Flickr

Full set here:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjBSZXef

Brendan.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Ulster Aviation Society open day, Long Kesh

Post by TSR2 »

Thanks for posting those. I'll need to try and get there the next time I'm over, but seeing the family always seems to get in the way :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Some really nice pics there Brendan. Thanks for sharing them. :)

Brian

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

TSR2 wrote:Thanks for posting those. I'll need to try and get there the next time I'm over, but seeing the family always seems to get in the way :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
It's a pretty isolated location and not open to the public except by prior arrangement. That's why I jumped at the chance to go to the open day. I didn't get an opportunity to talk to many of the members there - it was very busy - but I've made contact with one or two since and hope to keep in touch. They are doing some super work there. The great thing was that they weren't at all precious about walking around or touching the exhibits or even sitting in in the cases of the Sea Hawk, Wessex and Tucano.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I'm just really glad they found a new home, TBH I didn't realise the Maze used to be an airfield, but its very apparent from the aerial view on Bing. Do you know what used to be based there (pre the prison) :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Looks like a rather good day out, thanks for those Brendan. :thumbsup:

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

TSR2 wrote:I'm just really glad they found a new home, TBH I didn't realise the Maze used to be an airfield, but its very apparent from the aerial view on Bing. Do you know what used to be based there (pre the prison) :)
There's a pretty good summary of the histories of Long Kesh and neighbouring Maghaberry on the UAS site here:

http://www.ulsteraviationsociety.org/#/ ... 4544801416

While it appears to have been known as RAF Long Kesh until it became an internment camp in 1971, RAF activities seem to have ceased post-war from about 1949. HMP Maze was opened on adjacent site in 1976, remaining in use until 2000. UAS moved there from Langford Lodge in the mid-2000's and currently occupy the two hangars.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nice shots Brendan :thumbsup:

It's smashing when something falls into place like this. Having 2 hangars is great.. something we could really do with at Brooklands :( We have one.. the old Wellington hangar but that's full of stuff that can't really go outside. It'd be nice to have somewhere to put the old girls under cover while essential work is being done rather than have to do everything in a rush to beat the rain. 8)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

DaveB wrote:Nice shots Brendan :thumbsup:

It's smashing when something falls into place like this. Having 2 hangars is great.. something we could really do with at Brooklands :( We have one.. the old Wellington hangar but that's full of stuff that can't really go outside. It'd be nice to have somewhere to put the old girls under cover while essential work is being done rather than have to do everything in a rush to beat the rain. 8)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
They have pallets of stuff in their second hangar, which they also use as their workshops. They also have a Fairey Gannet in storage. Unfortunately it was closed during the open day.

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Crikey, XW220 was around when I was on 230 Sqn over 30 years ago!
ATB Trev