de Havilland DH.86 Express

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

de Havilland DH.86 Express

Post by T6flyer »

now available over at flightsim.com is Kazunori Ito's latest creation, the DH.86.

This was one of the two more recent projects that I have helped him with recently (the other may appear soon) and so was surprised to received the finished item in my email tonight. It was difficult trying to put together a package of plans and photos as it is quite a rare aeroplane, as opposed to its relative the Rapide.

Best wishes to all,

Martin

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Re: de Havilland DH.86 Express

Post by emfrat »

Well I love these old machines, and I was delighted to see this one. Nice visual model, sound is better aliased to Dave Garwood's Rapide, but I think an unfinished or unmodified FDE has been included in the upload. I pointed it down the runway at East Midlands, set neutral trim and first stage of flap, and opened the throtlles; in a very short space of time, it was showing over 250 KIAS and the tail was still on the ground. I got it into the air, and tried to stabilise it at about 130 KIAS which seems a reasonable cruise speed, but it did not seem to want to stay up at anything less than 170 kts.
I am sure there will soon be a fix, and I am looking forward to it..
MikeW

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

I'm afraid that is the problem that you will get with Kazunori's models. He likes to build aeroplanes that he likes the shape of, but as most of us know the flightmodel is not very accurate. At one stage, everything flew like a Gnat. He does know that the flight model can at times be very inaccurate (although I thought his AT-6 was quite close to the mark) and for a limited time recently he was just releasing the model and nothing else.

I'm sure someone will come up with an accurate flight model. Lets all just hope that he continues to build aeroplanes for us.

Best wishes,

Martin

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Just looked at the aircraft.cfg for it, it has 4 turbines each with 1000lbs static thrust and a cruise speed of 260 kts, it certainly needs looking at.
Rich

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

There was another version of a DH86B which was a beta. The FDE might be better.

The only place that I can find it is:

http://www.bluegrassairlines.com/bgas/h ... iners.html

<<edit corrected DH86 to DH86B :$ >>
Last edited by ianhind on 04 Oct 2008, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

At the risk of sounding a pain :worried: it is not a DH.86

This is a DH.86B which along with the DH.86A which did not have the extra fins, this is a 2 pilot aircraft

The DH.86 had a single pilot in a Dragon like nose and looked very different as a result ;-)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Garry Russell wrote:At the risk of sounding a pain :worried: it is not a DH.86

This is a DH.86B which along with the DH.86A which did not have the extra fins, this is a 2 pilot aircraft

The DH.86 had a single pilot in a Dragon like nose and looked very different as a result ;-)

Garry
Not at all....the accuracy of this particular model is due down to my own ignorance of the type and perhaps Kazunori's understanding of what I had sent him. I realise now that there were various versions of this airliner created and instead of taking a little bit more effort and thought when collating material, rather than thinking everything was the same, then perhaps a better re-creation could have been produced. I'll try better next time :)

My aircraft recognition isnt that wonderful at times and for example I cant tell one airliner from the other.....now I know it just isnt jets that I have problems with!!

Best wishes,

Martin

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Martin

Honestly it was not meant as critism just as information :)

Just one of those small matters that does mean something else.........c'est la vie :lol:

Best regards

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Well I must admit to really liking this chaps work once again he has done a nice job, I whizzed out my paintbox for a quick repaint in the colours of Jersey Airways circa 1935, I know that it really should be a DH86 Express with no tail fins and asingle cockpit but I like it in this guise :D

AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

steve p
Victor
Victor

Post by steve p »

Garry Russell wrote:At the risk of sounding a pain :worried: it is not a DH.86

Garry
Hi Gary,

Thats not entirely correct. The designation DH.86 was applied to both single and two pilot aircraft. The DH.86A designation came about when DH modified the windscreen on the two pilot version. As you say, the supplementary fins were introduced with the DH.86B, but just to confuse things, many, if not all, of the DH.86As were modified to have them, in 1937.

Best wishes
Steve P