Fairey Gannet AS.1/6 COD.4 W.I.P.

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Fairey Gannet ASW3 W.I.P.

Post by Techy111 »

DaveB wrote:Steve..

ATB

DaveB :tab:
Dave i hope its ok but i tried enhancing your photo and came up with quite an interesting shot.....What do you think?

And i got rid of these camera splots and changed the fisheye effect back to normal.....

Do you think it gives it a more modern day shot?

Techy
Last edited by Techy111 on 26 Aug 2007, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

God Techy.. I still can't use Photoshop after all these years :lol: That looks just about bang-on to what I'm seeing in Warpaint. Given a bit more light than your hangar shot, I reckon it's just about there. What do you think??

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

From the first one i tweaked i added some more enhancements and i think thats it !! Sure looks the part don't it? And it now looks like it was taken with a Digi camera :)

I think its bang on.... Opinions folks ?

Techy
ImageImageImage

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

Sorry chaps, but unless my monitor is drastically calibrated from yours, I'm seeing two things here:

1) the shot Techy posted is consistent with the airliners.net shots I have seen and Dave's 'scan' shot - a very dark and drab 'blue/grey', and very close to what I used on my paint.

2) the last tweaked shot by Techy has more blue in it. You can see the difference clearly, from the scan to the tweaked shot in that the sea colour and a/c have more blue in their colour levels. Yes, the photo has been enhanced, but I still think the 'original' and 'real' colour is a less blue shade, i.e. more grey. You know, thinking back to a Warpaint Canberra book I have, there are noticeable discrepancies between their colour plates vs. other ref. material and real life Canberras I;ve seen - so its highly likely the Warpaint Gannet blue/grey is off too.

It's just my opinion of course, but I'm seeing what I'm seeing! Dave said it earlier and its been said on other posts too - it's damn hard to match cols off photos due to lighting conditions, we all know this. Therefore, without an 'official' swatch and some more hardline evidence, we are in a bit of an 'eye of the beholder' situation here.

I do appreciate the effort that has gone into researching this topic though, don't get me wrong at all!! Cheers a lot to all and I am still not 100% decided on it yet, but will hold for now before publishing that one.

Steve

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Your opinion is what this is all about Steve :) I love research so my effort goes on and i know the tweaked shot is over blue ish but i was hoping that the enhancement might give us an idea what the old bird just may have looked like.....
I am trying to match that blue and am checking as many A/C painting sites that i can find but sadly i do think that you are right.....the photos and light conditions will never give us a true rendition of that blue/grey scheme that can be matched accurately for FS painting purposes....... Do you concur mate ?

Techy
ImageImageImage

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

I certainly concur, Techy, it is a thorny old issue, but a good challenge, just like we had with the post office red on Raspberry ripple Canberras :) Keep up the research and maybe we will find a better choice of shade. Research and this kind of banter is what I enjoy the most about painting and posting on this forum actually - my wife thinks it 'extreme geek' but harmless enough. Gives me something to mull over at work and kill a few hours figuring out. :lol:

Many thanks again to all, Dave B, Andy G and the rest who've helped out.

Bloody Gannet. Oh, alright, we love you. :thumbsup:

Steve

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

I suggest that you try overall 'dark sea grey' (semi gloss?) for the COD Gannet. The colour mix for the 'MS paint' program will be available somewhere on the web.

There used to be a 'Model Decal' transfer sheet many years ago concerned with Seahawks and Gannets and all such transfer sheets carried colour notes for the shades to be used. Perhaps someone on our forum has an old sheet tucked away somewhere. I looked through my remaining sheets this morning but the remains of that sheet might have been given away long ago.

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Nice to see some more repaints of the Gannet. It will be on my DL list for sure. One done in the old COD scheme
would also be great.
AsusP5Q mobo P45 Chipset
QX6850 extreme 3ghz running at 3.6
4 gig OCZ DDR2 1066Mhz PC8500
XFX 8800GTS 512 G92Engine

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Applying my (admittedly faulty) logic to this question, would this not be the same shade of blue as that applied to contemporaneous Wessex and Sea King helicopters? I can't imagine the Royal Navy inventing a new shade if stocks were already available.

Andy

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Andy,

Regardless of the (possibly) 'off colour' colour shot.. I'm at the same conclusion too (I think I mentioned as much in reply to Techys post above). The Air Britain link he posted shows it to be exactly the same colour as I remember our Wessex painted and it sure is blue/grey if ever there was one! :) Question is though.. how the hell did Warpaint find a shot of one in blue and make it so in the colour plate :o :roll: Should find out something concrete this evening ;-)

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!