When the Future is the Past

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

BT Why do you talk about copied designs

Boeing learnt a lot from DH when they were having problems but that does not make the 727 copy of the Trident

An as to the IL 62, it is accused of being a copy of the VC10 but that's rubbish.

If Ilyushin had hung the engines on the wings they would have been accused of copying the 707 if they had put them in the wing routes they would have been accused of copying the Comet. They could not win

No one accusses Douglas with the DC8 of copying the Boeing 707.

That kind of statement is made without thought or fact checking

The 380 IS a milestone even if it only uses existing technology as the 747 was a milestone at its time and that was quite conventional

As with the 747 it is a milestone because it is a step up. Nothing like this has been made before. Can you imagine the potential if they were to stretch it.

Chris quoted the Stratocruiser as being double deck but the lower deck was not a full deck and was a lounge area not pax seated on two decks.

The Princess was a failure

Anyway might be a good idea to move this thread to Airliners.net or somewhere else where they entertain such arguments

Garry
Last edited by Garry Russell on 17 May 2006, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

britishtourer wrote:
Now look at the Airbus. Is there any real beauty there?

Sure it may be the most efficent, economical and environmentally friendly design but is it fun? Is it beautiful? I don't think so. There's just nothing unique about them. In essence, they have become like a Ford Transit - no one gets excited about them or even notices them half the time.
Personally I think there is a certain elegance, "je ne sais quoi" I suppose, to the whole family. And yes, I do happen to think the 380 has a certain beauty and style, certainly a lot more than a 747 possesses.

Ain't nothing wrong with a Ford Transit, it's rightly recognised as a design icon. The (proper) Mini is much more fun and a lot more stylish than the small BMW that now passes for the Mini, but I know which one I'd drive for fun and which I'd rely on to travel long distances in.

Bring back the Morris Minor, that's what I say! :lol:

AndyG

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

britishtourer wrote:I look at the aircraft for uniqueness in design. That's why I love British aircraft. Apart from the blatant copies of the Trident (727) and the VC - 10 copy from russia, they are all unique.

Does a Trident look like a Comet? Nope. But they are both beautiful. Both have different fuselage and wing shapes and engine positions.

Now look at the Airbus. Is there any real beauty there?

Sure it may be the most efficent, economical and environmentally friendly design but is it fun? Is it beautiful? I don't think so. There's just nothing unique about them. In essence, they have become like a Ford Transit - no one gets excited about them or even notices them half the time.

I recently went to Paris on a ERJ 145 and was very excited about it. Kids shouted out "Cool!" when they saw it and one woman said "Wow, it's a buisiness jet!"

Does an Airbus get that sort of reaction?
BT, for the sake of my sanity and yours probably, I don't intend to get in a debate with you or Chris or anyone else for that matter. :brick:

The reason I posted regarding the Airbus was because I have a certain opinion about it. Thats my opinion and no-one elses.

If people agree then fine, if they don't, then I am not concerned. This whole topic has the potential to drag on and on outlining various feats and accomplishments over the aviation years.

What you posted is completely irrelevant from what I was discussing with Chris and goes off on a tangent. TBH it does'nt even address what I have outlined in previous posts.

Right I am off for a long run... :madhead: :doho:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

VEGAS wrote: Right I am off for a long run... :madhead: :doho:
Well I hope you are using classic british running shoes then, as nothing else will do! :wink: :lol:

AndyG

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

In regards to the A380 not looking unique and/or special...

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1045823/L/

Wow! Now that is what you call a wing! I want to see the 900 series :shock:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

AndyG wrote:
Well I hope you are using classic british running shoes then, as nothing else will do! :wink: :lol:

AndyG
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course!
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

VEGAS wrote:
AndyG wrote:

AndyG
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course!
Air soles?

Garry
Garry

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Garry Russell wrote:
Air soles?

Garry[/quote]

No, apparently the soles were crepe!

AndyG

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

AndyG wrote:
Garry Russell wrote:
Air soles?

Garry
No, apparently the soles were crepe!

AndyG[/quote]

Nice one Andy

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Ah, the old ones are the best Garry. :lol:

Although to truly satisfy some people on this forum, he should really only have been allowed to run in clogs! :wink: :poke:

I believe the usual comment at this point is, "I'll get me coat".

AndyG