Time for a new case..

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

CB..

I got bored with loading stuff onto our newly revived office pc and decided to pull the flightsim pc apart to rebuild in the new Antec case.

For those that like a sliding tray.. don't bother with this one as you can't even get the side plate off (the one that the mobo screws on to) :roll: I've not been able to take advantage of the 380x PSU either as the pwr connector didn't look like it would fit the Asus mobo. Probably a case of RTFM as my assistant manager pointed out that a third of the mobo pwr plug snapped off.. after I'd put my old 400w PSU in I might add :doh: Never seen that done before!! :roll:

It fired up first time and appears to be running much cooler (it would be running cooler still without the 400w psu in there as it has a second fan fitted that blows nice warm air out of the psu down into the case :shock: ) so all in all.. job done and I have a new, spare psu :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Ah

So it's PC test time now then Dave

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No Garry.. nothing so complicated. No new stuff.. just a new case :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I kept my mouth shut about this earlier, but why again did you need a new case?
Was it over heating?
Was it too loud?
Did you need more space to add drives?
Would upgrading the power supply been sufficient?

For me a case is just the box that holds the parts, I usually build my systems from separate parts and get the cheapest case I can find that has a big enough power supply and enough space to hold the drives.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Joe..

The case is always more than the sum of it's components mate :wink: A good case, one with sufficient ventillation is always desirable to a bad one.. one with poor ventillation and scope to add more. The case that was housing my XP3200 started life giving an XP1700 somewhere to live. For this task, it was adequate (I won't say good.. ). There is room at the front for an additional fan to draw cool air in but none at the rear. This system was eventually upgraded to an XP2000 after a mobo failure and the XP2000 found itself as an upgrade for my daughter (with a new case and mobo). A 'cheap' replacement mobo was secured which happened to take 'up to' an XP3200 but that wasn't the original consideration. The original consideration was for that system to have a SATA drive so a SATA drive and SATA controller card were installed. This didn't work particularly well so.. I ended up getting another mobo with SATA onboard. Instead of getting a new case to go with the new mobo and HD.. I ended up getting an XP3200 instead. A quick upgrade gone terribly wrong!! All the new bits ended up in the old case and the end result was a CPU running at close to meltdown temp. Although it was/is the fastest system I have, I rarely turned it on as soon after.. the CPU temp would have been far too high.. this because the case was incapable of keeping the system cool :wink: It was ok in winter but with the temps we've been having here over the past weeks, the cpu was running at around 60degC.. more on occassions so.. I got a new case that is designed to have good ventillation from the word go and also has room for additional fans should this be required.

There you go mate. Nice and simple :smile:

ATB

ImageImage

andy

Post by andy »

Sad case, really............... :smile: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

No.. I won't say anything more!! :lol:

ImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

DaveB wrote:Joe..

.. I got a new case that is designed to have good ventillation from the word go and also has room for additional fans should this be required.

There you go mate. Nice and simple :smile:

ATB

Fair enough,
thanks for the explanation and good luck with it.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Re the power plug, old motherboards have a 20 pin power connector whereas new PSU's have a 24 pin connector. You can normally plug it in with 4 pins 'overhanging' the motherboard connector or as you've since found out, you can remove the last third. Swapping a PSU doesn't take long Mr B :wink:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chris,

I'd not come across this before and only learned about it from my AM as he'd just had to buy a new PSU (from PC World.. and it took two before he got one to work!! :lol: :lol: ). On the one he had, the last bit slid into the other bit which made it obvious but mine was all in one with the plastic connector a wee bit thinner on the area where it could be separated.
I have to say, it does come with a load of outputs considering its (now reasonably low) pwr output. Especially liked the dedicated SATA plugs :wink:
I'll leave changing the psu for now as it's taken me a fortnight to motivate myself into getting this far but I will do it.. honest!! :worried: :-$ :-# :wink:

ATB

ImageImage