Either one of the 2 Daves please VC issue on the BAC1-11

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Sorry I'm probably too late to help (as ever)
I may be able to shed some light on it.

Things I do know :-
1) The install files are ok & all install programs work as intended.
2) Simviation is as good a host as you could have, the files will be downloading ok.
3) Installing the new DMFS files on top of the old DMFS files is perfectly safe and reliable.
4) If you have no VC panel textures after updating, that suggests the panel is updated but the model is not. (new VC lighting makes the new panel incompatible with the old models)

SO...
Some people must not be updating the 1-11 models that they actually use in FS. That must be down to people having different 1-11 models, repaints etc. in different folder names.
You see, the install programs can only ever overwrite the original DMFS 1-11 files in the original folders. Any other 1-11 folder you may have set up in your '\Aircraft' folder will not be altered in any way.
This is a full list of the original '\Aircraft' folders in the DMFS 1-11 package :-
BAC 1-11 200
BAC 1-11 200 Hush-kits
BAC 1-11 400
BAC 1-11 400 Hush-kits
BAC 1-11 475
BAC 1-11 475 Hush-kits
BAC 1-11 475 Radar Trials
BAC 1-11 500
BAC 1-11 500 Hush-kits
BAC 1-11 510ED
BAC 1-11 510ED Hush-kits
DMFS Shared Files

As an example, I myself have an extra folder called 'BAC 1-11 500 Other' which is a copy of the 500 with a number of Garry's repaints in it.
It's not part of the original DMFS package, so it's not touched by the install programs.
So after the update, my 'BAC 1-11 500 Other' folder still contains the old version of the model but the panel it uses HAS been updated. (it has an alias to 'DMFS Shared Files' to get the panel).
Result - In FS there are no longer any VC panel textures in my Garry Russell 1-11 500 repaints!! :dance:

So I need to manually update my additional collection of 1-11 models.
I need to copy over the new version of the model file ('111500.mdl' into my 'BAC 1-11 500 Other\model' folder)
Also to do a proper job of manually updating a model, I copy in the new version of the 'air' file & also copy/paste in all sections of the new aircraft.cfg (except the [fltsim] sections at the top). This makes sure that any flight model updates are included as well.

Unfortunately these kinds of problems are unavoidable with the design of the files in FS. People can always add extra models in any way they like and they understandably don't see the potential problems in updating.
I hope people can understand & see the impossible situation we developers are expected to deal with. We don't have control of it. :huf:

DM

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi DM :smile:

All totally true :wink: When the end users say they have downloaded all three new components.. one has to assume this is what has happened. However, where a human element is involved, nothing is foolproof as we get proven time and time again :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I just experienced this yesterday, I had a couple models of the 1-11 installed but not all. I installed the latest 1-11-500 and when I switched to the VC the panel was black. I re-downloaded and installed the latest 1-11 panel and everything was fine.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi DM

I cleared all the 1-11's off then installed using the installer and had no panel on the VC.

So in my case it was no a case of over the top it was a clean install (After saving the old config :worried: )

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for that Joe and Garry :wink:

This seems to prove the point doesn't it. Old models and new panels.. new models and old panels.. there is enough inconsistency there to cause a possible problem :think:

Are you up and running now Garry and I wonder how Nigel is getting on :roll:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Hi DB :smile:
Yep, pity the poor developer. Computers are so stupid & pedantic to deal with, and then on top of that the people that use them are completely unreliable! :wink:
:lol:

Seeing no textures at all inside the VC will mean that you haven't got the panel installed correctly.
If you can see some VC textures, but the VC panels themselves are blank, then the panel is installed, but either the model or the panel is not the latest version.
I cleared all the 1-11's off then installed using the installer and had no panel on the VC.
I just don't see how that's possible with a new and complete install. The thing clearly works just fine. :dunno:
I'd believe it was a genuine problem, but it's just that these exact symptoms can be so easily got by doing a dodgy install.
What other explaination can you come up with?

DM

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Garry, you say you're saving the config first?
I assume you then copy the [fltsim] sections back in?
Could it be that your 'model=' parameters are pointing to an old version of the model?

Maybe if you could post the [fltsim] section of your aircraft.cfg?
It may show something.

DM

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

MALTBY D wrote:Garry, you say you're saving the config first?
I assume you then copy the [fltsim] sections back in?
Could it be that your 'model=' parameters are pointing to an old version of the model?

Maybe if you could post the [fltsim] section of your aircraft.cfg?
It may show something.

DM
Hi DM

I saved the config for the repaints( Reference to an earlier cock up), but never used any of it.

I did not copy anything else back in as there was no point due to the fact it had no loaded properly. So I left it and lost it again when I reloaded FS yesterday.

But after intially loading it I threw it off again and still the same not VC panel.

The download gave me a 1-11 with no VC panel.

I have not tried oit since reloading FS.

I only mentioned it because it had happened. It didn't affect me as I dont use the VC anyway.

Garry
Garry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi DM

Before I continue I would like to thank Dave B for sorting out my problem and also to those who kindly responded with their help, very much appreciated.

Dave M, reference your post of downloading and installing the 1-11, I had to completely download the 400 series again as I foolishly did not save the original files, when I went into FS9 there was no VC panel however, all I can say is that before my computer played up and when I downloaded this 1-11 previously, I had no trouble with the VC.

So where and how this problem occurred has left me completely stumped!!!! :think: I also completely uninstalled MFS9 plus all other files and folders associated with it and then reinstalled FS9......... so.... in effect..... I am running it from new and had then downloaded your 1-11 from where I had done previously and found no VC. Honest I touched not a thing!!!!!!!!!! :dunno:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Nigel

Same as me then new installation :smile: no VC panel. :worried:

:dunno:

Garry
Garry