Royal Air Force A.400M Atlas

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Royal Air Force A.400M Atlas

Post by Airspeed »

This photo convinced me that whereas I thought I was seeing heaps of tiny flap doors, it is just TAPE. :doh:
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-p ... 292006.jpg
Interesting prop vortices!
I followed this to a forum conversation, of which this is an extract:
[–]benwap 6 points 1 year ago

Airplane tape is a real thing.
[–]ewerdna 5 points 1 year ago

Speed tape. 600mph tape. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape

[–][deleted] 1 point 1 year ago

Duct tape is just as badass a tape, but speed tape is pretty much metal tape on a roll. It goes on like duct tape but you press it down real good and smooth out the air and you basically have a bit of metal. The only downside is speed tape has trouble sticking to surfaces that are leaking any fluid. It's a common thing to see it done, but I personally would rather use duct tape and then cover that with speed tape. It would work despite it being against AF regs.
[–]Firehawkws7 3 points 1 year ago

They're there to analyze airflow over the airfoil.
Just as Keith suggested ;) :thumbsup:
So, there I go, learning sumfink else again today.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Ahh, I thought you meant the bit under the flaps, must have been looking at the wrong picture!

Incidentally, although speed tape sounds amazing, it is several hundred pounds a roll!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Interesting to see how it's used when finally put in service since its mission has changed so many times and the UK continues to acquire the C-17 that it was "supposed" to replace.

The things under the flaps may stop spanwise flow, but that is a secondary (actually probably tertiary) effect. They are primarily the aerodynamic fairings for the flap tracks, supports, and mechanism. While they're "deeper" on the A400 than most other airplanes, a lot of it has to do with the fact that the A400 uses a pivot and track system for the "blown" flaps instead of the track and shuttle system as seen in most modern airliners which use fowler-type flaps.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Interesting to see how it's used when finally put in service since its mission has changed so many times and the UK continues to acquire the C-17 that it was "supposed" to replace.
I was under the impression it's being procured as a C-130 replacement,rather than a C-17 replacement. The C-17 is used as for strategic airlift in the RAF whereas the A400 is for the tactical role the Hercules currently does.
Certainly you can get bigger stuff in a C-17, e.g. a Sea King without taking the rotor head off which is a massive time saver.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Originally, the A.400M was touted by the RAF as being a "cheaper, right sized" alternative to the C-17 (saying that the C-17 was "too much airplane") and thus the reasoning for the low number of C-17 airframes being procured since they were to be "stopgap" only. However, then the delays (and delays)...(and delays) occurred and then it was suddenly a Herk replacement, despite the fact that the RAF had just ordered another batch of C-130J's.

Thing is, it can't replace the Herk. As impressive as the demos of its short field performance are, it's only impressive when operating with a 15 tonne payload, the same payload the C-130J-30 can get out of the same field, but has more room to maneuver in since it's 20 feet shorter. That's a lot of wasted capacity when operating as a C-130 replacement. So yeah, I'm kinda interested to see how the RAF ends up employing it since it doesn't have a defined role anymore.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Chris Trott wrote:Originally, the A.400M was touted by the RAF as being a "cheaper, right sized" alternative to the C-17 (saying that the C-17 was "too much airplane") and thus the reasoning for the low number of C-17 airframes being procured since they were to be "stopgap" only. However, then the delays (and delays)...(and delays) occurred and then it was suddenly a Herk replacement, despite the fact that the RAF had just ordered another batch of C-130J's.

Thing is, it can't replace the Herk. As impressive as the demos of its short field performance are, it's only impressive when operating with a 15 tonne payload, the same payload the C-130J-30 can get out of the same field, but has more room to maneuver in since it's 20 feet shorter. That's a lot of wasted capacity when operating as a C-130 replacement. So yeah, I'm kinda interested to see how the RAF ends up employing it since it doesn't have a defined role anymore.

I agree it seems a bit odd having three types of airlifter. Admittedly you can pick an aircraft the right size for the load you want to move, but you've made the logistics chain more complicated and you have less of any particular type.

For some reason I was under the impression the C-130Js were also going to be replaced by the A400 but I can't remember why and I doubt the plan's still extant anyway. I suspect for the same reason we have 4, count them 4, types of support helicopter we've ended up with 3 types of transport in that politically we wanted to support UK industry in some project, in this case the A400, despite not really needing it.

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Garry Russell wrote:
J0hn wrote:
The thing is, no matter how it looks and sounds, it's never going to fill the boots of the Herc, reputation-wise. The sound of those Allisons is something that stays with you, let alone in full reverse.
I take it you mean a proper Herk...the C-130J just doesn't cut it for me.

How can such a beast sound like a Dash Eight :lol:

For me, a real Herk with proper propellers...not sure if the engines are that different but the props certainly are.
Whatever type we were using in 1974!! :lol:

That was my introduction to it - the 24 hour droning of the Hercs at Akrotiri, bringing troops and supplies in and taking families out.

Further enhanced in the late '70's and the Reforger exercises flown to Gütersloh (as one climbs out, another is landing behind it. Rinse & repeat).

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

That's the proper Her J0hn :tunes:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Garry Russell wrote:That's the proper Her J0hn :tunes:
:thumbsup: Back in the early 70's my aunt and uncle lived close to a USAF base which was home to many Hercs. They would fly low enough to mess up the TV reception. To this day I have no idea how a low-flying aircraft can mess up your TV. :lol: The sights and sounds of the Hercs flying low over head are a very happy memory of mine. :) *sigh*

Brian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

To this day I have no idea how a low-flying aircraft can mess up your TV..
RF pollution??

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!