Post by Garry Russell »

Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Myles
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Myles »

Or use Google! It does work!

I also run Windows Defender on a couple of machines as well. It might overprotection, but if it stops 'em getting through...!

Myles

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

AndyG wrote:[

Who needs Norton or McAfee? :lol:

AndyG
The same people that use AVG :roll:

AVG is pure sh!te and nothing less. I used to use Panda which isn't the best but money was an issue at the time. I scanned a suspect PC with Panda and it found 156 viruses. Guess what.... it was using AVG.

Another free one is Avast which is much the same as AVG. My mums PC had Avast on it at one stage and Panda found 7 viruses on that !

We both use NOD32 now. You get what you pay for and with AVG you aint gettin as you aint payin :wink:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Callum
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Callum »

Charlie Bravo wrote:
AndyG wrote:[

Who needs Norton or McAfee? :lol:

AndyG
The same people that use AVG :roll:

AVG is pure sh!te and nothing less. I used to use Panda which isn't the best but money was an issue at the time. I scanned a suspect PC with Panda and it found 156 viruses. Guess what.... it was using AVG.

Another free one is Avast which is much the same as AVG. My mums PC had Avast on it at one stage and Panda found 7 viruses on that !

We both use NOD32 now. You get what you pay for and with AVG you aint gettin as you aint payin :wink:
Yup AVG is a pile o' wank. I downloaded the McMillan trial thingy and i'm going to buy it once it's trial is over...

It's fab!

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Ah well gents, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :think: Personally I found both McAfee and NAV to be worse than useless; certainly the McAfee suite was incredibly bad, and the firewall was just appalling. Yep, Panda is good, not denying that but I've done the exact opposite of what you described, scanned a Panda protected machine with AVG and found undetected stuff - on the basis that they all have faults I'll stick with the faulty free stuff thanks.

AndyG

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Spyware

Post by hobby »

For Garry Russell: I was unable to download using your link but google gave me a link for Spybotv14. Just downloaded, updated, scanned - found four problems which were fixed. Many thanks.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

OK Hobby

As long as you're fixed up now.

ATB

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Andy

I agree with you. NAV caused me more problems that it was worth. As a result of this discussion, I have just checked my PC with the free Panda online scan it found no viruses on my AVG-protected PC but 42 spyware. :shock:

Having looked at those, they were mostly cookies inside the Firefox profile. And the other cookies don't give me any concern. Finally it claimed there was some adware insider the DivXBundle.exe - not that I've noticed.

So I will continue to use the same set of packages of ZA, AVG, Spybot behind my hardware firewalls.

Ian

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I fully agree with you all about AdAware and SpyBot which I have run effectively for a long time (and now with Windows Defender as well!).

Also consider Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster from Javacool, which sit in the background and work in real time to detect malware before it gets onto your system - like a firewall. Spyware Guard also warns you if your home page is being hijacked. But you have to check weekly for updates with the free versions. http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html

One of the best speed increases I've seen is with Crap Cleaner (CCleaner). It will identify temp files and allow you to choose whether to save or delete them. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html
First time I ran it it found 26Mb of temp files that I thought I didn't have. It will also clean the registry if you want and will back it up first (strongly advised although I've never had a problem in 2 years!).

Finally, this is my AV solution: after getting rid of Norton a year ago and trying AVG for a while, I decided to upgrade my Zone Alarm firewall with the add-on AV program for about £20. It integrates perfectly with the firewall, updates itself every couple of days and does a weekly background scan without any input from me. Not free, but a neat and unobtrusive solution and not system clogging like Norton or McAfee.

Ian

bigred1970
Victor
Victor
Location: Seneca, SC USA about as far NW in South Carolina as you can get.

Post by bigred1970 »

I use windows defender, (what can I say they are a customer of the company I work at so i try to stay loyal to ms)

I use avasit for my antivirus, easy to use, free for home use and has saved my butt many a times....