Is FS9 Dead

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

dswanson
Trident
Trident

Re: Is FS9 Dead

Post by dswanson »

Hi,

As one mainly flying classic british military aircraft, I'll be staying with FS9, not even bought FSX.

I have lots of AI and recorder flights for formation flying and a lot of add on scenery, so a good motive for staying. Just created a 3 ship low level V bomber circuit of Scotland - Valiant, Vulcan and Victor, nice for chasing in a hunter. One good aspect of FS9, the V bomber main spars don't get fatigued... :thumbsup:
Regards,

Degsy

op2
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by op2 »

fs9 will never die. I run it on my desktop and netbook. Ive got fsx deluxe but never use it .

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Definitely not dead.

I finally bought FSX last week (it was on special offer at a local store) mainly so I could buy and use the latest Lightning and the Flying Stations Buccaneer. When I started it up I was shocked by how naked my world looked compared to my lovingly tended FS9.

It's not the lack of big ticket payware that's the problem, it's all those little files, often freeware that I've added over the years that makes such a difference. I like flying in my local area, the interior of Sao Paulo state, and over the years I've added so many little files of local airstrips and terrain that it's actually possible to navigate with a road map!!

I started looking for the same files for FSX and they don't exist :(( I know that if I follow a certain road from Campinas, overfly the reservoir and change heading at the TV mast I'll see Barbacena in the distance, recognisable from the church on a hill, just like the real world. I found a road pack, so I have my road to follow, but there's no reservoir, TV mast or church in my FSX virtual world.

One day I'll probably find the files I need, but until then FS9 is very much alive and well for me. It might not be real (@ Tonks) but I would like FSX to be a little closer to reality than it currently is.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Interestingly, I found the exact opposite :lol: I reloaded fs9 last week (thinking of getting the QW 146, which is fs9 only ATM) and thought it looked terrible compared to my FSX setup.
Dave G.

JohnD
Victor
Victor

Post by JohnD »

I totally agree Dave, I did the same thing for the 146. I'm also getting the OOM/CDT errors. Need to remember what to do to stop it!!

John
I have the mind of an athlete, but the body of a spectator.

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

i wouldnt call it dead, maybe zombie like :hide: :lol:

WhisperJet
Concorde
Concorde

Post by WhisperJet »

FS9 is fine for my hangar -
BAC 1-11, HS748, the Comet. They all work well, wonderful aircraft, fabulous VCs, loads of liveries and no frame rate issues at all!
Given the scenery around and qwsim's 146 on the horizon - anyone tell me why I should switch to something else! B-)

Cheers,

Nick
Noise Abatement? Never.
(D. Maltby)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Over the horizon. Your wait is over!
One of our members (DaveD?) bought the QW146 for his birthday recently. Presumably not a pre-release order, I think he's got it. :)

WhisperJet
Concorde
Concorde

Post by WhisperJet »

Airspeed wrote:Over the horizon. Your wait is over!
For the time being it's the RJ series that's released.
I prefer to wait for the more classic 146 on approach... B-)

Cheers,

Nick
Noise Abatement? Never.
(D. Maltby)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I ALWAYS get caught out by details!
Still, you only need to read my sign off, "I know nuuuuuthing." as a certain prison camp guard used to say.