Wireless Network Blues

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Netgear hardware is usually good Ian. I used one of their ethernet hubs for years and currently use one of their fast ethernet switches for 2 of my systems. Worked straight away with absolutely no fuss and no drivers. True plug and play :wink:
Btw.. the only reason I stopped using the hub was that my network outgrew the amount of available ports!! :wink: Oh.. and just remembered, I use a Netgear hub downstairs to link my till's to the pc upstairs.

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Yep, the 834G is the best bet. It does operate better with a firmware update, but for those who don't know what firmware is, don't worry about it :wink:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

DaveB

I just mentioned the DG834 - didn't mention the 16 port switch and several wireless access points to servers and A3 printer in the garage :dance:

Ian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Seems like Netgear owe us all a beer for our patronage Ian :wink: :partyman:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Thanks for the advice. Now I understand the issue a bit better. The next task is getting Amazon to agree to exchange the item for one that will do the job. That may be more difficult than understanding the problem!

The order is past the 30 day return period. However the description on the site is less than clear, so I can hear my daughter limbering up with her legal training on fitness for purpose.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

AllanL wrote:Thanks for the advice. Now I understand the issue a bit better. The next task is getting Amazon to agree to exchange the item for one that will do the job. That may be more difficult than understanding the problem!

The order is past the 30 day return period. However the description on the site is less than clear, so I can hear my daughter limbering up with her legal training on fitness for purpose.

:doh: :-({|=
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

AllanL wrote:Thanks for the advice. Now I understand the issue a bit better. The next task is getting Amazon to agree to exchange the item for one that will do the job. That may be more difficult than understanding the problem!

She won't stand a chance I'm afraid. I've just checked and Amazon have taken the product description from the Belkin website.
If they won't refund or exchange then it'll have to be ebay.

Vixus
Victor
Victor

Post by Vixus »

It's pretty straightforward. Oh, and I'll plug Linksys because there's stuff looks nice.

It's pretty simple after that. Connect the output from the cable modem into the Internet socket on the back of the wireless router.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Vixus wrote:It's pretty straightforward. Oh, and I'll plug Linksys because there's stuff looks nice.

It's pretty simple after that. Connect the output from the cable modem into the Internet socket on the back of the wireless router.
She doesn't use a cable modem, it's ADSL and is a completely different setup. Once the router is plugged in, various data has to be entered in order to set up the router. The security has to be configured as well... it's enough to baffle a newbie.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

No - we are fairly certain that it is not a cable modem. Read CB's comments. USB modems are typically supplied by BT - my green "frog" was not even unpacked before it went into storage.

So it is plug the cable from the telephone port into the wireless router. The DG834G has an ADSL modem inside it.