Typhoon warning

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Typhoon warning

Post by SkippyBing »

Airspeed wrote:
SkippyBing wrote:To be honest it's a public right of way so unless they put up actual traffic lights and a barrier the Typhoon pilots should probably learn not to land short. This seems to be a bit of a problem at Waddington possibly due to the runway being wider leading to an optical illusion that's caused at least one French pilot to hit the fence.
Hi, Skippy :hello:
Not claiming any knowledge of this particular situation, but they did show flashing red lights on the road, I think that's a fair indication. A lot of Australian railway crossings in rural areas have only flashing red lights. It's up to the road driver to choose whether or not to pit his tonne of steel against a passing freight train.

I think it's worthy as a light news item, just enough out of the ordinary to give us a smile, or shake of the head in wonder.
True, it's an indication, but they're not actual traffic lights so people can happily ignore them and obviously do. Presumably the great expense of changing them is beyond the RAF's budget...

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

There was a situation at Llanbedr quite a few years ago where a Jindivik fell short of the runway on landing & hit a parked car with its occupants in it. As it was outside of the airfield boundary all that could be done was to place warning notices, there was no authority to do any more!
Keith

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Locally there is a no parking area in the path of the runways, that's the simple solution.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

The report that I saw down here in Oz, but from the Beebsite, had the RAF bod explaining that the RAF had no powers to prevent idiots ignoring the many signs on the road directing them to keep clear - hardly an apology.
Had I been flying the plane, I would have been sorely tempted to make a shallow but safe approach, in the hope of removing the distraction those fools cause.

MikeW

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Had I been flying the plane, I would have been sorely tempted to make a shallow but safe approach, in the hope of removing the distraction those fools cause.
Tempting, but at the subsequent board of enquiry quite hard to justify!

To be honest I'm surprised Waddington isn't being more pro-active in sorting this out, it must be one of their higher risks, never mind the negative publicity if something actually does happen.

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Good point , Skip - a few spools of razor wire and a couple of dogs would ensure safety for pilots and public alike. The local bobbies can deal with the traffic offences.
ATB
MikeW

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

Mind you a French pilot hitting the fence is worth a smile or two!! :rofl:

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

brings a new meaning to the sport of fencing :)

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

I belive it was a Sentry E-3 that has hit the fence before... They were there for the arivals day before Waddo airshow, however Waddo do a very nice pay and park near that end of the runway for all the photographers and enthusiasts. Its is kind of their own fault they put themselves in harms way...

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

*-) People should be responsible for their own actions. In no way is Waddo even remotely to blame.

But that's the way it is now. people do stupid things and if anything happens it's someone else's, anyone else who is to blame for not stopping it from happening.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."