Another One Bites the Dust!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Another One Bites the Dust!

Post by nigelb »

Ian, I am so sad to hear your news but your attitude is both courageous and inspirational to all of us. I hope I am as brave as you when my time is up. Not much I can add to what has already been said but keep calm and carry on! Wishing you many, many, many more bicyle rides for years and years to come!

Nigel²

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Ian,
I'm also very sad to hear this. As said above, we're all a bit different.
My father had two workshops at home made from asbestos sheet; he's nearly 92.
I've heard of this problem taking a long time to do its evil work, and at the other end of the spectrum, lost a neighbour within weeks of diagnosis. He worked in a drawing office near a locomotive-building factory.
You certainly seem to have enjoyed life to this point. I wish you many happy times to come.
I've often wondered what's in store for me. I worked in a gasket factory for some years in the 60s, sitting on pallets of asbestos sheets eating lunch.
I'm glad that you've chosen to share your situation with us. There will be supportive thoughts filling the air.
Look forward to reading more of your cheery posts, and don't forget to reach out for us, when you need it, either. ;)

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

What can I say that hasn't been said already?

Very sad news indeed, but your attitude is one to admire. We will be here for you always.
Dave G.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

For what it's worth if I might relate a tale. A dear friend of mine as a child in Rhodesia used to play on an Asbestos waste site in the late 50's early 60's, before it was appreciated how dangerous the stuff is. He was diagnosed in 1994. With treatment, he is going strong(ish) today. One lung had to be removed and he cannot climb stairs like he used to, but he is leading a full and semi-healthy life so far. But he is no invalid.
Alex

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Thank you all again for your very kind and comforting responses. There are too many to go through and respond individually but all of you have said the right things and made me feel happy to be amongst friends.

OK, that's enough gloom and doom. Time to get on with life. But first let me just say that I'll be updating this thread every so often as things happen and anybody who wants to join in with questions and comments is more than welcome. As I said, it's something that we will all have to face and if talking openly about it now might help you later then make the most of the oportunity!

I was horrified at the thought that I might live for a few more years - having worked everything out on a shorter timescale. The life insurance policy only runs until I'm 70 so if I live past that the wife will bloody kill me! :lol:

Ian ;)

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

my mother told me I wouldn't make it to 21.
hey look at me now. 8)

... I miss mom btw..

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

I feel that all the words written thus far express the feelings felt by all here better than I can Ian.

Rest assured, we will al be rooting for you.

I can but commend you for your attitude to the situation, it is a blow when you get the diagnosis initially as I well know, but in the words of the song, "Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again."

People I meet cannot understand why I laugh and joke, but as I tell them, "Nowt I can do about it, so no good moping."

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Ian, so very sorry to hear of this, words cannot express my feelings when I read your post but the way you have accepted this is an inspiration for us all for when we have to face up to our final destiny!! Just hope that when my time nears I will find the same courage and strength that you have shown.

Having said all that you will still be posting here in years to come, if not then you had better have a good excuse for not doing so!!! :worried:

Kind regards

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Filonian wrote:People I meet cannot understand why I laugh and joke, but as I tell them, "Nowt I can do about it, so no good moping."
Absolutely, Graham. I shall follow your example!

There are so many positives that put a spring in your step. For instance, I no longer feel that I have to take a position on gay marriage! A nuclear Iran or a Taleban Pakistan? Pah! What do I care? :lol:

Red Ed and his Union paymasters destroying what's left of the Country? ISA interest rates? Not my problems :dunno:

Reading the paper now brings a grin to my face ... although I'm not sure if I'm ready for the Daily Mail yet :(

Ian :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

... although I'm not sure if I'm ready for the Daily Mail yet :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Who is Ian.. who is :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!