Shakin' all over!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Shakin' all over!

Post by nigelb »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:-O Billy Beer? You have to be joking! :(

All is fine here, I did not loose power although millions on the East Coast are without power. Despite my joking, I really only had one beer with dinner last night. I thought I might need to stay fairly alert and I stayed up most of the night in case something bad happened like a tree falling on the house. Lots of rain and wind but little in the way of any damadge other than very small branches scattered around the garden. The eastern side of Washington got hit a lot worse than we did here.

On the whole, I think I preferred the earthquake - over in thirty seconds and since it was a complete surprise, there is not the days of anxiety waiting for the hurricane to arrive.

Nigel²

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Glad you're OK Nigel

Just have to sit tight now until the Asteroid :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

I'm very happy that you're safe and sound Nigel. :thumbsup:

Brian

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Me too Nigel.

.. oh.... Leif you can go back to yawning, no hurricanes coming your way.

:lol:

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Thanks guys.

I better get ready for that asteroid now ....let me see *-) I fill the bathtub with spare batteries, right?

Nigel²

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Nigel

Sorry I wasnt taking the piss -- it must have been seriously frightening - especially as you said it was on old bedrock and transmitted a long long way -- The 3.6 you mentioned I felt at work -- here they are
really odd "rolling" variety which as Del P said is much like being in the deck of a ship. its like everything else its relative - you chose where you live and accept the surrounding natural (and sometimes unnatural) elements -- Im not to happy about the idea of driving through Oakland at night either. but you pays your money and takes your choice.....The funny reaction to the earthquake was that it was caused by the founding fathers simultaneously rolling over in their graves.............

Leif

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Leif -

No apologies necessary, mate! Quakes are so rare here I guess we make a big deal of them when they do occur. We had a smaller one with the epicenter a lot closer over a year ago so I knew what it was immediatly - same low rumbling sound at first. It was more disconcerting than frightening. As I said, I preferred the quake to the hurricane because the quake was over in 30 seconds and the hurricane gets plenty of advanced press coverage and gives everyone plenty of time to fret. The rain and wind lasted over 14 hours. There is another 'cane brewing in the Atlantic, I just hope it stays far away. My daughter still has no power from the power company but fortunatly her building has an emergency generator so she has limited power on a few circuits. Enough to keep the refrigerator running and a few lights. Millions on the East Coast are still without any power.

They just said on the news that we had two 2.5 aftershocks today ...that brings the total to 10 or so. I did not feel any them ......yawn! ;) :lol:
Besides, it's the asteroid I am really worried about.

Nigel²

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Nigel :hello:

Your quake made the news this side..in a way it worse when you don't often get them because the structures don't take it into account and the people are not used to it.

A bit like a blizzard in a warm climate.... :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."