BAC1-11 Slats + GPS

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

crisso
Viscount
Viscount

BAC1-11 Slats + GPS

Post by crisso »

Couple of questions about the real BAC 1-11 (Incidentally, my favourite DM jetliner to hand-fly in FS2004).

1) Surprised this aircraft never had slats/droops, compared to the other rear-engined jetliners of that era (Trident, B727, etc.)?

2) Were the later 1-11's in service ever fitted with a GPS system to assist with the horizontal navigation? I'm thinking of say, those still being flown by European Air Charter at the turn of the Century. I.e., did they ever have an 'Omega'(?) system or similar type bolted on?

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: BAC1-11 Slats + GPS

Post by DaveB »

Hi Crisso..

No idea why the One-Eleven didn't have slats other than the reason it didn't need em!

EAL's aircraft had Garmin GPS and TCAS but it wasn't coupled to the AP ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I yould have thought it's because it's landing and take off speeds were within the right ball park making the complexity and associated high maintenance cost uncalled for :think:

:dunno:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

The 1-11 had no need of slats or other leading edge devices as enough extra lift was generated by its Fowler flaps for the fields/conditions in which it was expected to operate. (Remember it's a smaller aircraft than any of those you mention.) The 1-11 wouldn't have been delivered with GPS/FMC though I'm sure some still operating have been retro-fitted with such equipment. I'm fairly sure late Series 500 aircraft may have had FMC's: certainly ROMBAC (Rumanian-built) 1-11's used by Ryanair in the '90's had. Whether or not it was coupled to the autopilot I don't know.

B.

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

Two of the BIA aircraft, G-AXLN and G-AYWB had a single Omega fit from their time with Cayman Airways.

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."