Is it my Age?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Is it my Age?

Post by Nigel H-J »

Having stopped at a service station on the motorway last week for a cup of coffee and stretch my legs I watched as 3 young children about 6-8 years of age run about madly nearly colliding with other people and screaming at the top of their voices whilst chasing each other, their mother stood close by with a big stupid grin on her face thinking it quite amusing watching her offspring fool about whilst elderly people were trying to get out of the
way of her brats! :rant:

Now I know that on long journeys cramped in a car kids need to let off a bit of steam but I very nearly felt the need to tell that mother what I thought of her kids and her lack of consideration towards others but thought better of it. Even in my local library kids run about shouting at the top of their voices and the parents do nothing to ask them to keep the noise down.

Now I am not asking for them to be quite at all times but kids these days all seem to have the need to shout and scream when out playing especially where we live and also instead of their own gardens they now use the roads as a playground! :wall:

I think one of the problems is that in many cases both parents may be at work during the day and when they come home are too tired to give their full attention to their children and discipline in some ways go out the window or is forgotten.

Is it just the wife and I who feel this way or do any other members feel the same way? *-)

If not then I will have to keep taking my medication and change my name to Old Grumpy!! 8)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Is it my Age?

Post by DaveB »

Parental control is something belonging to a long gone age along with civility and manners! This said.. all things are not equal.

There's an old git across the road who see's himself as 'The Voice'.. we call him the Baron :lol: When our next door neighbours moved in, it wasn't long before he came across to give them a 'formal' welcome which included what IS and what ISN'T acceptable behaviour from their young children :-O Kids playing in the street was one 'no no' (I know.. it's unbelievable isn't it!!). The irony of this statement is that the only kids we have playing (if you can call it that) regularly in the street are his 4 grand children from 6 houses away and their friends! It wouldn't bother me much if they played outside their own house but no.. they play outside HIS which in turn.. is outside MINE :rant: I think my neighbour was too shocked to even hit him :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Discipline is something which no longer exists, controls only work when there is a consequence to breaking them, which in our day was some form of punishment.

Punishment is a dirty word these days hence there is little or no discipline in our society and people do what they want with complete impunity.

Clearly we are all of a similar age!
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

What a relief, it isn't just me that feels this way then. I have nothing against kids in general indeed I have come across some around eight or ten years old who have even held the door open for me (I must look really prehistoric to them for them to do that) :help: and have always thanked them.

I just think that parenting is not what is used ot be, too much emphasis is put on child care for thse under four years of age then there are breakfast clubs for children under 11 who attend before school starts as parents are going to work then after school clubs where children go until they are picked up by their parents coming home from work.

Sadly a lot of children are missing out on a full family life due to parents working all the time and often wonder if as a result of this they will end up with some sort of emotional problems.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

I think part of the issue is their lack of interaction.
They're happy to be squirrelled away in a bedroom 'speaking' to people via the internet (I know, I'm aware of the irony of putting this on a forum post!!)

I'm the OC of an ATC Squadron. I have 45 13-20 year olds who are full of discipline, respect and politeness. There are over a thousand other Squadrons in the UK, not to mention Boys' Brigade, Scouts, Sports groups etc.

I'm also a Police Officer and so I know full well what the opposite end of the spectrum is.

The issue is, as you quite rightly put it, the parents.

Paul

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I have noticed how incredibly well behaved French children are and wonder about any possible explanation for the difference between them and ours!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Yes, too much molly-coddling going on.
When our grandsons say: "Can I have some cordial?"
I say: "No, because you didn't say please." [Airspeed=Grumpy old]

At our wholefoods committee meetings, I complain about the attitude of our shop volunteers. They do 2 hours a month, btw.
They bring in personal reading material, crosswords, laptops to check out their investments etc. I say that they should focus on attending to the shoppers, check tidiness, etc. The other committee members say: "But they're only volunteers." :rant:

I just modified the wording on my gate sign; it used to say "Wholefoods deliveries under blue tarp. on trolley please"
It's been raining for days. A driver placed 13 cardboard boxes on the wet grass under the trolley which had the blue tarp attached. :doh:
Sign now reads: "Wholefoods deliveries on trolley, and cover with tarp. please" We'll see what they make of that.

Peter's post has just popped up....maybe it's because their parents carry big bread sticks, and give them wine with their meals?

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Costco! No place for undisciplined adults and their kids. Yet there they are. How often accidents have been narrowly averted by responsible heavily laden cart pushers when the unruly other persons brat runs in front of them or worse, dawdles inattentively. That is my bug bear.... that and old people who dawdle. Just as hazardous and infuriating especially when I am there spending $$$'s and they are there walking around every damned aisle and stopping dead right in front of me, then they make their way to the pharmacy section to stock up solely on Steradent.... AAarrgh.. What worries me is that I am almost an old people myself. Oh I'm going to be an insufferable and crabbit old git........ probably sooner rather than later too. :lol:
Alex

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hi Gents,

Don't worry Nigel your normal!!!

I have given up, the other week i could not believe it, i was in a Supermarket with the wife and down the end of an isle there were three young ones kicking a ball about, i looked for and found their parents who were doing their shopping and rather than tell them i went and found the manager and he delt with it but where do these people come from,

I know us oldies say this but when i was a youngster you were wary of the old Bill because not only would they give you a talking to if you needed it but i knew If my Dad found out you could get the belt across the "Bum". :hide:

Having said that we went for a ride last week on a narrow gauge train ride and just as we were ready to leave the station a mum and four little ones came into our carriage :'( but no they were lovely and we enjoyed the hour with them.

Grumpy Old B.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

I can remember a couple of years back in a supermarket - two kids throwing themselves on the floor waving arms and kicking legs along with screaming - all because they had been refused sweets.

At the check out, I had just finished paying when mother and brats appeared behind me at the till. I said, tongue in cheek, that it was such a great pleasure to come across such well behaved and polite children.

The mother - well suffice to say I learned a few more cuss words that day.

Perhaps this has a bearing.

Don't worry Nigel, you are quite normal.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.