Garry Russell

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Garry Russell

Post by Tomliner »

I can't really add anything to the lovely sentiments that have akready been expressed here.His wit and knowledge were legendry.I will miss his presence around here very much.Thanks for letting us know Dave.EricT :'(
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Very sad but not unexpected news. Garry was very helpful to me when I was starting to repaint FS aircraft for Leif Harding's (another who left us too young) virtual airline. His combination of clear advice with his perfectionism was much appreciated.

Thanks Dave for confirming this I hope you'll be able to pass on our condolences to his wife.

Jon

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

It's strange how people who have never met, form very close bonds through their hobbies. We feel that we know each other, and care about each other, and share each others losses.

I read Garry's posts with great interest, and had some contact with him regarding airfields in his adopted homeland. He was always most patient, and ever helpful. A true gentleman.

Den.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

This is so true. I only got to meet Garry 'face to face' last year though when his car pulled up outside my house.. it was as if we'd known one another for a lifetime.

I've sent a reply to Aija.. a short reply for me as I don't want to re-open wounds that have already started to heal if that makes sense. To be honest, I feel worse today than I did yesterday.. the realisation has finally sunk in and I don't want to upset her. Aija's English is not good but I've sent her a link to this thread and hope that she pulls some strength from it. I have contact details for her which also include telephone and Skype so if any of you would like to get in touch personally, drop me a PM.

ATB
Dave
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Had not been able to get to the library for a bit and now I have the sad news of Garry has emerged!! :'(

No words can describe how I feel on hearing this but I will always remember him with fondness especially his quick witted humour and one-liners that had us all in stitches. He breathed new life into each and every day he signed in to this site and having read all posts from other members there is nothing left for me to say or add apart from:

Thanks for brightening our lives Garry, may you now rest in peace.

Dave, would you kindly pass on my condolences to Aija.
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Sad news indeed of a prolific and encyclopaedically knowledgeable contributor - and weren't many of those 748 repaints his also ? RIP Garry

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Really sorry to hear this. My condolences to Aija. Garry, you will be missed. RIP.
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

All messages before this one express my sentiments also, sad but not unexpected news. RIP Garry.
Keith

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

and weren't many of those 748 repaints his also ?
Not only the 748 Chris. A quick look at Flightsim.com brings up 39 pages where Garry is referenced and a great many of those are repaints.

ATB
DaveB
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

This is sad news Dave, I'll not say Garry will be missed here because he already has been. This is being such a bad year for friends and acquaintances passing.