AVSIM HTTP 403 Error

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

dickb
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

AVSIM HTTP 403 Error

Post by dickb »

Anyone else having problems with AVSIM ? I get the HTTP 403 message whenever I try to access the forum.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: AVSIM HTTP 403 Error

Post by DaveG »

Just tried it & it worked for me. Quite often I find it inaccessible in the mornings (UK time) though.
Dave G.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

dickb wrote:Anyone else having problems with AVSIM ? I get the HTTP 403 message whenever I try to access the forum.
Same here :dunno:

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Took a long time (20s) to get the front page but it works.
Avsim really need to do some updating but so do LM P3D which is painfully slow to access.
Alex

dickb
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by dickb »

Still solid HTTP 403 for me after two days. Does anyone know how I can report this to AVSIM ? I can't see any way to contact them from the main site page, which is the only one I can access.

It seems like most people can still access the forum as I am getting notifications of new posts. Which I can't access !

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I can get in fine and you are coming from the BTCentreplus address space. I'm going to suggest that perhaps the IP address you are coming from has been black listed. This isn't a reflection on you, but simply that you've now got an IP address that someone else used to have who was less scrupulous, so they are blocking you. It might be worth trying switching your router off for 15 minutes, and then switching it back on to see if you get a different IP address and trying again.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nick M
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Nick M »

I can access Avsim okay at the moment, but one thing that has worked for me in the past when I've been unable to access a specific website, is to change my DNS server settings. Here's an example using Google Public DNS. Although the link does make the process seem rather convoluted, it's not as long-winded as it sounds...

Cheers,
Nick

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Nick,

HTTP 403 is an HTTP forbidden response, which would indicate DNS is working, but something on the webserver is denying access to the page. Ordinarily you might see this apply to particular pages on a site that are perhaps protected, but if some folk are getting in and some are not, I'm thinking it may be the IP address of the client that the webserver doesn't like?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Try access via this link http://library.avsim.net/ which isn't sluggish like the fornt page.
Alex

dickb
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by dickb »

Hi guys - thanks for all the suggestions. In the end, Ben (TSR2) 's idea fixed the problem. Thanks mate !