A New Home...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

A New Home...

Post by Garry Russell »

As my location on my profile has shown for about two months...I'm on the other side of the wall :lol:

I recently moved to Latvia. I now live in the city of Valmiera about 103km NE of Riga

Her are some recent pics. The first frost at the very end of September set in motion the spectacular red yellow and orange Autumn. This was just starting to get going when these pics were taken

The old mill pond in Valmiera.

They created a very nice walk around the pond

The pond is only a few metres from the flat and is on the way to the main street.

Between the tree in the forground and the church is the Gauja river, the longest in Latvia

Many of the roads are similar to this and mostly as busy as seen here. This is only about 1K outside Valmiera. However there are mainly unpaved roads through the wooded and open field countryside.

Another typical road. This is on the way to Cesis which is 26 km from Valmiera

Cesis main street

A park opposite the main street. There is a distinct lack of railings and barriers in Latvia making a much more friendly feel to the country.

Cesis

Onwards to Sigulda about 60km further on.

View from the scenic cable car. Sadly reflections are a problem

Lots of apples along the roadside. We filled seven carrier bags from just one small area...there are thousands.

Pond alongside the road to Smiltene

Beer garden on the way home

A very tranquil country

I'm not sure what you imagine Latvia to look like, but I have yet to meet someone who thought it looked like this.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: A New Home...

Post by FlyTexas »

Wow...very beautiful. :) That would be a wonderful place to take up painting as a hobby. You'd never run out of scenes to paint. :thumbsup:

Brian

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Very pretty. I bet you are looking forward to the winter. :thumbsup:
Alex

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hello Garry,

Beautiful photo's, thanks for sharing them,

I did not know much about Latvia but having had a look it's a large country and of 2013 a Population of just over 2,000,000 so plenty of room!!!!

I have now settled in North Devon in a very quiet village away from the M25 and the constant rumble of the M2 after 20yrs, in fact it's so quiet it makes you ears ache :) it sound silly but it's true :thumbsup:

All the best to you,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Idyllic mate.. oh, and if you need any rain, just shout and we'll send some over. We have more than enough for ourselves at the moment! 8) :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Garry, lovely pictures and I too wouldn't have imagined Latvia to look like that...although on the other hand, I'm not sure how I imagined it to be anyway. More pine trees maybe ? Some of it resembles New England. Anyway I hope you are happy up there and looking forward to a proper winter. ;)

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Looks idyllic, Garry.
Beautiful scenery and architecture.
Hope you are very happy in your new home - just don't get fat on too many apple pies.

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi guys

Re the winter...I was in Latvia on and off since November and was there when the ponds were frozen, snow was knee deep and the themp was -15

It does not feel cold in the way the UK does. More like being in the walk in freezer at a large supermarket. The only aspect I don't like about the climate is that I don't take heat too well and the upper 20's and over 30 sometimes is too much for me.

There is lots of space and it's not uncommon for plots of four or five huse being reduced to one as the unused are demolised in some areas.

Dave...we have lots of rain here. Been raining for three out of the last four days and most of the previous weeks. teps are about 12-19C during the day...fell to 10 today and foggy.

Tomorrow were are due to go to Helsinki for 11 days and there is snow expected there for a cpouple of days and maybe in Latvia. about 1 in Finland and 4 here, then becoming a little milder again.

I bought some diesel today and the smell seem to indicate they have already started adding the jet fuel to it.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Very picturesque Garry, thanks for sharing.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

That'll be hard to take, Garry, having to walk past that pond to get to the shops!

Like others, I never thought about what Latvia would look like, but I'm glad I've seen your photos. Very pleasant.
Truly hope you both enjoy it to the full. ;) :thumbsup: