Prepar3d: settings and news

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Prepar3d: settings and news

Post by speedbird591 »

Well spotted, Paul! So even the great guru Kosta gets a bit muddled sometimes :lol:

Oh well, user-defined/off/application controlled, it all sounds very similar :doh: If he can't keep up with it, what chance have us mortals got?

Anyway, I've now changed my Nvidia Inspector Anisotropic entry to Application Controlled and the Filter setting to Off (point) as instructed. I think the sim's sharper and smoother - but then I would, wouldn't I? I'm certainly not going to use trial and error!

On a similar vein, his recommended Anti-aliasing mode is 'override any application setting'. I can't find it now but I read him in a thread somewhere suggesting that the AA box in the sim should be checked as well. The theory being that NI needed a setting to override and if the box was unchecked then it would have no setting to override and would therefore not work properly, which has a certain attractive logic to it. So mine is checked in the sim but being overriden by NI and I certainly feel that I get a better result like that. It's not worse, anyway :lol:

Thanks, Paul.

Ian :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Ian, I would say my textures are noticeably sharper. I also had a problem with the yellow taxiway markings flickering, which has now disappeared. I'll try the AA tip too.

By the way, I've been installing Plane Design's Lancaster and Lancastrian into P3D this afternoon. With a replacement prop texture, they are still very good indeed! I also found UKMIL's two 'Just Jane' paints for the Lanc; I had no idea they existed.

:)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

New Sim Launcher version due tonight! :lol:

Haha. I know that's hardly worth a newsflash. I get disappointed if I start it up and it doesn't tell me there's a new version :lol: But this one's for me. I pointed out that it was starting to freeze like it did before. Anyway, Maarten has managed to replicate it and has promised to fix it tonight :thumbsup:
Paul K wrote:Ian, I would say my textures are noticeably sharper. I also had a problem with the yellow taxiway markings flickering, which has now disappeared. I'll try the AA tip too.

By the way, I've been installing Plane Design's Lancaster and Lancastrian into P3D this afternoon. With a replacement prop texture, they are still very good indeed! I also found UKMIL's two 'Just Jane' paints for the Lanc; I had no idea they existed.
You're right about the textures. I've had another look. I thought they were really good before but now they are excellent. What a good find. It's well worth browsing around the forums, isn't it? And what is so nice about this hobby is that most people are happy to share their knowledge and discoveries so that everybody can benefit.

I'm tempted by the Lancaster. I've just had a look and the only thing that puts me off is the VC. It looks too clean and colourful for my taste. I like them to look grubby and used with the paint rubbed off and torn fabric! Also, there's too much else on the horizon for me at the moment and I'm preparing my sim for the imminent arrival of the new FTX scenery and airports!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

speedbird591 wrote: I'm tempted by the Lancaster. I've just had a look and the only thing that puts me off is the VC. It looks too clean and colourful for my taste. I like them to look grubby and used with the paint rubbed off and torn fabric!
Yep, I know what you mean. However, taking the age of the model into consideration, I think the P.D. Lancaster's VC compares very well with that of the recently released FS Add On's Hudson, as seen here:

http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_bb/viewtop ... =1&t=24172

Unfortunately it suffers the usual problem with clouds appearing in front of the prop disc, so if you do decide to get it for some reason, let me know and I'll send you a replacement prop texture. It doesn't cure the problem, but its a vast improvement. :)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Sim Launcher v3.5 now out and Maarten has fixed the freezing problem I had in the selection screens. Nice Maarten :)

I asked Kosta on Avsim if he intends changing his tweaks guide to reflect the change of advice re the Anisotropic filter setting. Mainly I just wanted him to confirm it! He does confirm it and has now changed his guide.

So, if you're following Kosta's Nvidia Inspector tweaks for FSX and/or P3D, the new changes are:

Anisotropic filtering mode = Application-controlled (and Anisotropic filtering selected in the sim)
Anisotropic filtering setting = Off (Point)

It gives crisper textures than the earlier setting.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Sim Launcher keeps on misplacing me. In addition to starting in the hills at Ketchikan, and out to sea at Bowerman, it now plonks me down just short of the runway at default P3D Cambridge. 8)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I saw his answer to your post, Paul. I read it to mean that it was misreading the co-ordinates from saved flight plans. Does it still do it if you create a flight from scratch? I think I did a few tests and it was OK. I'll have another look later on.

EDIT: We're on to v3.6 now! :wall: Anyway I've started fresh flights at the three airports you mentioned and all flights start just a few feet short of the take-off position. Which is a bit annoying but not as dramatic as you were reporting. The exception is Ketchikan but I think that is because the FTX PAKT runway is elevated and the program puts the aircraft at the height of the default runway, i.e. below and a bit behind the threshold :-O To show what I mean about the other airports, this is at Cambridge. Positioned by Sim Launcher from scratch.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Ian, I've replied on that thread, and while the major problem of starting in the hills at Ketchikan and in the water at Bowerman has been solved, I still have the problem of starting off the edge of the runway, as you also seem to have done in your screenshot. As you say, not a huge problem, but if it can be sorted out, it'd be nice.

If anyone else wants to look...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/389592-p3d ... try2527421

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

For Prepar3d ORBX users:

ORBX have just announced two patches to get rid of the annoying pop ups on startup re the object flow dlls.

There is a patch for migrated sceneries (installed in FSX and migrated using the migrator tool) and another for scenery installed directly into P3D. If you have both then you should install both patches.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/index.php

However, I notice that one contributor has already hit a problem so it might be prudent to follow his thread before installing it yourself. I'll wait a bit...

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/ ... h-patcher/

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Two Items for P3D users.

1. The 'Estonia' FSX2P3D tool has an update available to v1.7.2. There's nothing big in it but you'll get an update message next time you run it.

http://www.flightsim.ee/products/fsx-to ... ation-tool

2. Mentioned above, the patches for the ORBX object flow dll warning. They seem fine. I've just installed the one for FSX sceneries linked to P3D through the ORBX migrator tool and it's cleared all the popups with no dramas.

At last! :Dance: