Ryanair - The World’s Favorite Airline

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Ryanair - The World’s Favorite Airline

Post by FlyTexas »

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/iata-con ... -airline-2

Has anyone here flown on Ryanair? Southwest doesn't have a ZED (zonal employee discount) pass agreement with Ryanair but if I could ever make it over to the UK I'd like to take advantage of their seemingly cheap fares. When I fly for fun it's typically 'back-of-the-bus' flying...no frills, no checked bags, just me and my camera. Would Ryanair be a good choice for someone like me?

Brian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Ryanair - The World’s Favorite Airline

Post by Garry Russell »

A lot do just that

A lot of problems is when folks pay these fares then expect a fuller service which they will get at additional cost.

I wish we had Ryanair :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Tonks
The Ministry

Post by Tonks »

Personally I would rather walk to my destination... but that's just me :lol:

Never have and never will fly Ryanair... favourite and carry-most-passengers is not really the same thing!!!!!!

Tonks :doh:
It's NOT real!!!!!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Thing is I'm prepared to to rough it if the price is right..For a very low price I wouldn't expect comfort or service any more than riding an LT 'bus

The problem occurs when you expect it to be like air travel used to be...As long as it got me where I was going, I'd be happy..at that price :)

However I'd never take a family on them or any travel to important meetings or anything that needed a certain reliability and care factor built in

I wish we did have Ryanair...not that I can travel...but if they were at my local I'd be able to have a choice that is denied me at present

The fact they are at any airport does not mean you have to travel with them, but it is important to have a choice and they may serve to hold down prices on a competition airline that is the preferred choice.

Not that I agree with their philosophy...I think they behave badly, but I know that and expect it. Maybe they deserve to go, but whilst they are around I would be prepared to pay the low price for the low service. :lol:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Hi Brian

I seem to recall a thread here that discussed such an arrangement Ryanair provided.
Seating accommodations were not mentioned, although - "meat hook" was~.
:wasntme:

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Brian, do you recall the O'Reilly vs Stubbs episode on Fawlty Towers? O'Reilly, the Irish joke, is very cheap but with Stubbs you get what you pay for. Probably about the same thing with Ryanair compared with the others.

Nigel²

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I've made two return flights with Ryanair in my life. First time to Venice in 2003 and second time to Dublin in 2007.

In fact on both of those occasions, it all worked out very well. The fare to Venice was very cheap (£35). However, in the last four years, the number of extra charges, the number of reductions in service, catches (like not showing up with a printed boarding pass and being charged £50 for them to print one, getting seriously ripped off for extra baggage) has increased, the price is not so keen as it once was and my expectations have risen. I haven't and wouldn't fly with them again.

For me I think their business model is now becoming dated. It all worked very well in the early/mid 2000s but now the mainline carriers are often only fractionally more expensive and you know someone will do something when it all goes pear shaped like it did for me during the snow before Christmas and the service will be generally much better.

In answer to your question, if you read all the rules and you're familiar with "playing the game", you travel light and always remember to print your boarding pass, it might be ok for you!

WhisperJet
Concorde
Concorde

Post by WhisperJet »

FlyTexas wrote: if I could ever make it over to the UK I'd like to take advantage of their seemingly cheap fares.
I'd better take advantage in the great reputation of British Airways or choose bmi or flybe (simply for historical reasons).

Best,

Nick
Noise Abatement? Never.
(D. Maltby)

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Thanks for all of your input fellas. :) Southwest does have a ZED pass agreement with BMI so maybe I'll give them a try if the time comes. They even fly from Dallas/Ft Worth to Manchester. :)

Brian

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I think most of the problem with Ryanair is 'Supergob'. Get rid of him and things may improve.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman