FSX Sound not quite right :-/

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Stones' throw from old Montrose Air Station (well, 4 miles anyway:-)

Re: FSX Sound not quite right :-/

Post by gordon-in-aberdeen »

Excellent result there Ian... :thumbsup:
TTFN, Gordon
"To err is human, but to ARR is most definitely Pirate... "

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Stones' throw from old Montrose Air Station (well, 4 miles anyway:-)

Re: FSX Sound not quite right :-/

Post by gordon-in-aberdeen »

speedbird591 wrote:
The underlying problem, as Gordon has discovered, is that Windows Vista, and subsequently W7, changed the way that the OS handles 3D sound. I don't know any of the technical terms, I'm afraid. The outcome is that the OS/sound card may not reproduce the 3D sound correctly for games written for older OSs. As FSX was written for Win XP some of the 3D sounds are not handled correctly on later OSs (Vista and W7). This should also be the case for FS9 and many other popular games.

Creative have created their 'Alchemy' software which patches the problem for their sound cards and Realtek have similarly produced 3D SoundBack, so far only in Beta - but with limited success.

So it's a global problem and the best solution is to do what Gordon has done and use a Creative soundcard with Alchemy software. Something to bear in mind if you're upgrading from XP to a later OS. Alternatively stick with Win XP until 'Flight' is released :hide:

Ian :lol:
Thanks fro the Update Ian.

IMHO I do feel its not just an OS issue though. There's something in FSX thats also contributing to the problem. I have FS9 on the PC as well and the sound output from FS9 regards the Justflight Mossie (which was the model I had the biggest problem in FSX on the PC) sounded just fine out of the box. As far as I could tell, the Mossie's sound folder on the FS9 model was 100% identical to the files installed on the FSX version. That drew me to the initlial conclusion thats it wasn't the sound card that was at fault but something more complex. 8)

There may be other sound cards that fix the fault as well, but because of technical limitations with my PC the Creative X-Fi go usb card was about the only option I could find worth giving a go, and it just happened to work :Dance: Others may have different millage re it. 8)
TTFN, Gordon
"To err is human, but to ARR is most definitely Pirate... "