Lightning F3 Simulator - Help Wanted

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Lightning F3 Simulator - Help Wanted

Post by petermcleland »

Sorry for bringing back this very old thread, but it has come to mind because I am busy beta testing a Lightning F3 in FSX at the moment and I have based myself at Westerland, Sylt for the testing. As you probably know, I do not normally use FSX and I use a saved flight to start from...In FS9 I was always careful to set up a saved flight of a complex aircraft by loading it from the "Default Flight". Unless that procedure was followed the correct results for a complex aircraft could not be gauranteed...Now, I am using FSX with its starting up "Create a Flight" with the flying trike picture. I'm not quite sure if loading the Lightning from that screen and placing it where I want it, is an adequate procedure...My question is...Is there a "Default Flight" in FSX? and if not then should I create one with a default FSX aircraft a bit more complex than the flying Trike? And then load the very complex Lightning from that?

Things here are very strange at the moment in this house, as one moment I'm tearing around the Sylt skies at Mach 2.0 and the next day I am flinging my Icon A5 around in MS Flight looking for the Aerocache of the day :lol:

Myles
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Myles »

Hi Peter,

I just use the Cessna set up at Duxford with the engine, battery and alternator/generator off, but with the avionics master to 'on' and the fuel selector to 'All'. FSX will default the mags to 'Both' anyway, so there's no point in setting those. Throttle closed and mixture to 'idle cutoff'.

That should cover most eventualities and could be pretty much how you would have been set up in FS9.

Best,
Myles

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Thanks Myles...I'll set that up today :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Peter..

The 'default' flight (if it can be called that) in FSX has you in the air, in the trike over Friday Harbour 8)

You can select (or make) your own default flight but as per FS9.. I'd save it with a default aircraft. I have variations depending on what I intend to fly. Mainly.. it's the default Cessna but I also use the default Bell 206 if I intend to fly heli's :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

DaveB wrote:Peter..

The 'default' flight (if it can be called that) in FSX has you in the air, in the trike over Friday Harbour 8)

You can select (or make) your own default flight but as per FS9.. I'd save it with a default aircraft. I have variations depending on what I intend to fly. Mainly.. it's the default Cessna but I also use the default Bell 206 if I intend to fly heli's :)
Understood Dave...I was just a bit worried that loading a Lightning from that Trike might cause the odd malfunction. However, I have today set up a default flight with the Cessna and then loaded the Lightning from that and saved it at Sylt. It made no difference to the very minor fault that I was seeking to clear. It may be that all that stuff about the default flight belongs back in the past, but it certainly could cause problems in FS9 :)

It is interesting what actually gets passed over from the default aircraft to the loaded aircraft...In FSX just as in FS9 the Nav1 and Nav2 frequencies DO get passed over to the load aircraft which is useful...For instance, if you are loading a very basic ancient aircraft with landing wires and canvas etc, then it won't have a Nav1 or a Nav2 and therefore would not open the Hangar doors which normally need Nav2 to be set to 112.00...However, if your default aircraft in the default saved flight has its Nav2 set to 112.00 and then from it you load your very basic string and wire aeroplane then lo and behold it will open the hangar doors! Furthermore if you then leave the string and wire aircraft inside the hangar and then save the flight, when you load that flight later, it will startup with the Hangar doors closed, but after a couple of seconds the hangar doors will open and you can pushback out or startup and taxi out...All done with an old aeroplane without any Nav sets :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Interesting Peter :thumbsup: TBH.. I've not studied it that much being a 'casual' and infrequent user. The use of default aircraft at startup is a hang-over I can't get rid of from FS9 and will probably live with me for as long as I sim! :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Thought I'd raise this thread from the dead....rather like myself, at least on this forum!

I'm now a volunteer at Tangmere again, after a gap of 8 years whilst living abroad and the Lightning sim is still doing a fantastic job, keeping visitors entertained. I soon got myself 'passed out' as an instructor, and really enjoy the effect this wonderful device has on pilots, both experienced and total novices alike.

Pete P and his team have made this one of the UK's finest 'free' flight simulator experience. The museum closed for the winter shutdown yesterday and I finished 2015 with six New Zealand student Airbus A320 pilots, over here for their conversion course. They all made a super job of flying the sim....unlike the ex BCal DC 10 captain from a few weeks before! Had never flown anything without using a yoke, was his excuse!

We are open again on Feb 1st 2016 and if you visit on a Monday, I'll offer to give you a guided tour as well as a Lightning sortie....just mention CBFS!
ATB Trev

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Rick Piper wrote:Hey i was Minus 1 in 63 :lol:

Regards
Rick
:-O me too!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

petermcleland wrote:
Rick Piper wrote:Hey i was Minus 1 in 63 :lol:
In my day we used to call that "Just a twinkle in your father's eye" :lol:

That makes you a year younger than my daughter and 10 years younger than my son...It also makes me feel incredibly old, but considering that I have four Great Grandchildren, I suppose I should feel old. However, I have informed myself that I will not be "properly old" till I'm eighty :flying:
Well this thread has been going for so long that I have to modify the above statement....I will not be "properly old" till I'm ninety :fly:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Having flown with you on several occasions, Peter... I'd say
- Never!

;)

BTW

I just realized.. I made a mistake when I said that I was minus one in 63. I was born July 62... .. :worried: :shhh: