Lightning F3 Simulator - Help Wanted

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Lightning F3 Simulator - Help Wanted

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Pete, really depends on tha cash you have. If you don't have the cash for a decent FSX spec you might be best going for one of the FS9 one. I'm not arsed about VC's anyway, although the Hawk and DG's freeware huter are top banana. VC's are great if they are done well (ala Hawk / Hunter) ;-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion, Ben, that my only realistic option is the Alphasim Lightning in FS2004.
Pete

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I'd be inclined to agree Pete. From memory when I had FS9 it wasn't a bad model at all, and for what i imagine your trying to achieve, FS9 and the Alpha Lightning should be very nice indeed. ;-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

ukmil
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ukmil »

PeteP wrote:I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion, Ben, that my only realistic option is the Alphasim Lightning in FS2004.
Pete
so ours is not needed. ah well, many others wil enjoy it in FSX. :thumbsup:

RobDob
Trident
Trident

Post by RobDob »

He can't use something that hasn't been released, and IIRC the last post on the matter was Ben stating that the version previewed had been binned.

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

ukmil wrote:so ours is not needed. ah well, many others wil enjoy it in FSX. :thumbsup:
I'm sorry you seem to be offended by my choice but, as RobDob points out in his reply, I can't use something that hasn't been released which is why I feel my only available option is Alphasim.
Ben Hartmann wrote:Just a quick update we've hit some minor technicalities with this model and a decision has been made that we won't continue to press on with this model....so we are going to start from scratch, all over again....and make a better one!
Also, in the thread you pointed me to, Ben Hartman made the above comment on Sept 18 this year so I confess to being rather confused about what you do or don't have available either now or in the near future.

However, it's still early days yet and, bearing in mind the state the cockpit carcass is in at the moment, it'll be several months before I'm ready to install the hardware and software. If you do have, or think you will have in the near future , something suitable and would be interested in supporting this project then I'd be very pleased to hear from you. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to either PM me here or e-mail me at education(AT)tangmere-museum(DOT)org(DOT)uk.

Thanks
Pete

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

It is also worth noting that the museum has at least two (FS9 freindly) simulator PC set-ups already in situ (set up by me and others) in 2005. I am sure that one of these (the Spitfire one, that is seldom used ;-) ) could easily be used in the Lightning sim. The 'Hunter' sim (that features CBFS stuff :thumbsup: ) is the only sim in constant use on my odd visits nowadays.

The AS Lightning is just over 11 quid, I am pretty sure that (running in kiosk mode) Phil would have no trouble with it being used. Just give them a credit (with a small ad?) on the side of the sim. I am pretty sure some Lighting bases are now freeware for FS9 too.

IMHO, having spent many hours on the Tangmere sim, the lack of FSX would not be noticed by any of the punters that do not already fly PC simulation. To buy a 'state of the art ' PC for FSX seems like a waste of much needed money.
ATB Trev

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Just a quick update:

It's looking much better already now we've figured out what goes where. :dancer: Still a lot of work to be done before I get my hands on it, though.

I'm not sure what originally went in this space but it looks perfect for my computers - and the sub-woofer from the sound system. :tunes:

Since no one from UKmil has contacted me either by e-mail or PM, I've approached Alphasim and it'll be their FS2004 Lightning F3 that'll be running on the simulator.

Pete

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

PeteP

looks fun :lol: , would be interesting if you could outfit the cockpit with the new 3D moniters.. :rock:
or rap the canopy with this http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnf ... 28_952.htm

but i 'd get a kick out of it anyway you can get it all to work.......cool project :thumbsup:

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

airboatr wrote:but i 'd get a kick out of it anyway you can get it all to work.......cool project :thumbsup:
Figuring out how to get it all to work in the way I want is where the fun is for me - fortunately, I have good contact with a home cockpit builder and I think I'll be e-mailing him for advice on a fairly regular basis.
Pete