KaiTak

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Keith..

I don't want to knock Dan's video production but I only saw it in a tiny window and there's not a great deal to see :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are absolutely right Dave. My career does certainly NOT lie in 'ollywood!

It was my first attempt ever to try to even make a video..

My sole intention was to give some sort of idea, of what to expect if one was to try out the Kai Tak scenery. The missing 4 min. is a following of a Singapore A330 on its way in at RWY13....so much for video production. :lol:

Next time I upload any kind of video, I would spend a little more time editing first... :redface:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You managed to get a lot further than I did with my first attempt Dan. I'm still at the '30 second' stage and left with an avi file weighing in at around 60mb :doh:

I was tempted to buy the full version but to do so online means payment by Paypal and with all the scams around at the mo regarding them.. I decided against it :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

The secret is to count slowly to 20 and hit F10 again...then you'll end up with a number of 20 second avi's (the size depends on your initial settings...), that you can join afterwards...use some of the Windows Movie Maker tricks as well to hide the fact that you aren't willing to pay for the good stuff ;-)

I won't, and I'm still able to count to 20 all though I some get lost in the mid teens ;-)

(or is it F9.... and 30 seconds...?) ;-)
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: KaiTak

Post by speedbird591 »

DanKH wrote:I promised Ian some shots of the freeware Kai Tak
Thank you, Dan, very kind of you to remember. You're still not off the hook, though, as I would like to see some close-ups of the approach to the checkerboard and the buildings beneath the final curve. Pretty please! BTW your video worked fine on my system but I think I'm going to wait for the Director's Cut on DVD :sad:

From what you have shown us, I think I prefer the payware version because the individual buildings and roads in the Kai Tak area are modelled on the originals, including the original billboards and even the taxis on the street. Whereas the autogen on the freeware is putting generic apartment blocks all higgledy-piggledy (olde English expression - don't ask). The payware one is stunning at night with all the neon lights in the streets. It just looks and feels so much more like Hong Kong and Kai Tak. But then it should do as it cost money.

Also, I'm an FS pilot of the Dave B school. All my scenery sliders are way to the left for smoothness and I generally have the AI off. I only have the aircraft quality on max, so I'm generally much less judgemental about scenery than most people. I mostly enjoy flying approaches and landings, so I only need the navaids and runway - which makes me a pretty cheap date as far as FS is concerned! Kai Tak is an exception as it's my main FS base :roll: and I do allow myself a nostalgic glance out of the window - so for me it has to look kosher. :dunno:

So perhaps the payware is for the dreamers, tourists and perfectionists while the freeware is for the all-action, busy airspace, technical pilots?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ian,

Is that Hong Kong scenery of yours by Flightsoft??

ATB

ImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Hahaha - what are you, Dave? Tourist, dreamer or perfectionist? :lol:

(Don't worry I know the answer - I have the panels to prove it!)

Yes it's the Flightsoft Hong Kong 2004. Obviously it does hit the frame rates as you get close to the buildings. Even with the sliders right over to the left, most of the buildings remain, so it starts to suffer a wee bit on finals. Mainly on the outside view - cockpit view is OK. But I've got an embarrassingly low spec machine (I'm too embarrassed to tell...) and I still find it smooth enough to satisfy me.

It requires a product key registration - not that you would consider anything outside the law with your background - but for the info of the unscrupulous who may be peeping in! I'll buy you a copy for your birthday if you can fix it for me to fly into Kai Tak on Tonks's sim! :whistle:

Cheers for now

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: KaiTak

Post by speedbird591 »

speedbird591 wrote:The payware one is stunning at night
Yes I did and here is an example:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tks Ian :smile: I stumbled over it this evening and the screenies looked familiar. I don't get out much these days but always enjoy a challenge so I'm tempted. Unfortunately, a bill for £735 to get the old 406 through it's MoT today has curtailed any further purchases for a while but I shall keep it in my 'things to buy' folder :wink:

Nothing.. would give me greater pleasure than to be able to arrange a spin in the C1K sim matey but these things are not in my hands :sad: While the scenery is crap.. the panel is much better than the one DM and I put together and frames are excellent!! :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

I must give you Ian, the payware is stunning, I bet there is no reason why you couldn't add all the AI-traffic you like to that one instead!

Being cheap, but tempted I have had a close eye at the FlightSoft version for a while...but as my wife has access to my bank-account, I don't see that it is in reach.....so unfortunately I'll stick to the freeware instead.

I've always had a soft spot for KaiTak even though I never saw for real....alas....

If I could, I'd get the payware version over the freeware..and that would be the one and only payware on my machine ;-)

Btw. the approach is filled with wiggeley diggeley - whatshamacallit, nowhere near the payware version...
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image