VC10 at Kai Tak

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: VC10 at Kai Tak

Post by speedbird591 »

Wow! Go Ben! :lol:

Horse and carriage, eggs and bacon, VC10 and Kai Tak. Made for each otherImage

What can we do to persuade DM out of retirement to give us a VC? :( the panel is the biggest problem in landing the VC10 as I can't find a control assignment for raising the viewpoint in P3D/FSX. At the moment your view of the threshold is obstructed by the panel just when you really need it and I have to disappear the panel which is a distraction. Much as I love the VC10, I'll probably be using the CAAC Trident for most of my HKG flying.

I hadn't thought about AI yet. You're going too fast for me :lol: I assume you've put your WOAI straight into P3D or do you have another secret trick for that? I tried putting current WOAI traffic into Kai Tak in FS9 but it didn't look right so that's when I created that 70s traffic but I never bothered converting it to FSX and just settled for the static aircraft. One day, I'll search out the package and see if I can get it working in P3D 8)

Lovely shots by the way. I'm not used to having competition but we've yet to see a landing attempt!

Ian :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ian..

I'm sure that code exists to be able to do that (raise the seat height in FSX). From what I remember, DM was going to add it to all future cabs so all is not lost ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I'm sure its a keyboard command...Can't remember what it is though, but I'll have a play later
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Don't know about FSX but in FS9 I' m pretty sure it's CTRL+SHIFT.Repeated presses lift the viewpoint further.SPACEBAR reverts back to normal.I do it almost without thinking so don't actually look at the keys! :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :hello:

Yes.. that works a treat in FS9 but it doesn't work at all in FSX :( Still looking for DM's code to make it work in FSX but it's a 'wood and tree's' scenario :wall:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I've got it programmed into a couple of buttons on the joystick. In FS9 it was mapped to 'View (always pan up/dn)' but in FSX they changed it to 'Eyepoint (move up/dn)'. The latter works fine in P3D in 3D cockpits but not in the VC10's 2D panel.

I've gone through every combination of views and eyepoints but to no avail - but I have found a workaround. It's a bit tedious but if it's the only way to land a VC10 at Kai Tak it has to be done :lol:

Using 'S' to cycle to cockpit view you then cycle 'A' to a forward facing view with no panel. Then on the menu bar choose Views/Instruments/Cockpit and you get the 2D panel back with the ability to use the hat switch to look around. However the panel moves around with you and you have to reselect the AP again. It's a lot of faffing around when you're attempting one of the most difficultest approaches in the Orient in a priceless classic aircraft. :lol:

I've just been renewing my acquaintanceship with the 13 approach and have slightly modified my previous advice in case anybody actually follows it and ends up in the terminal building :worried: I got in a couple of greasers amidst the go-arounds :lol:

Ian :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ian :hello:

Struggle no more my friend ;) I've found DM's code and added it to the VC10 cab. The only thing now is I hope DM doesn't mind me doing this for you. He lives close enough to pop round and inflict pain! :lol:

I've kept the cab name the same for ease of use and you can download it HERE

There IS a bit of manual stuff..
Go to your panel folder and put DM's original cab in a safe place just in case. Add the one in the cab.
Go to your panel.cfg and change the entry !EYEPOINT to read:
gauge44=DM_VC10!EYEPOINT_FSX, 665,552,20,36

Make sure the number of your original line is the same as the one above. It should be but if it isn't.. keep your line entry number and just add _FSX after the word EYEPOINT.

It doesn't work exactly the same as in FS9 where you click on the buttons and you see the view go up or down. With the FSX version, you have to keep the up or down arrows depressed and you'll see the view gently pan up or down ;)

Please note that although this is DM's code, I've done this without his permission and should anything go wrong.. don't blame him! :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Thanks very much for that, Dave. You're a very kind man and your efforts are much appreciated :)

However, it didn't work :lol: The problem isn't with FSX, as that was just a matter of remapping the buttons to a different command which worked fine. The problem seems to be with the VC10 panel in Prepar3d. I haven't got any other 2D panels in the sim but Ben flies the Viscount and hasn't complained so it must be just the ten.

I could fly it in FSX if I wanted to but I'm already spoilt by the smoothness of the flying in Prepar3d. I doubt if I'll use anything else now and anything that doesn't work - doesn't fly! :lol:

I'll download the Trident next as I'm sure it's VC will get me into Kai Tak with no problem B-)

Thanks again, mate

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well.. much as folk say Prepar3D is a commercial version of FSX.. there's obviously more to it than that then. I've already asked Ben to try it so we'll see if I've wasted my time with him too :lol:

Just to make certain.. did you keep the up/down buttons depressed? You can click on each until the cows come home and very little.. nothing in fact appears to happen. It's only when you keep either button depressed that things start to happen. I'm sure you did this being an 'Inspector gadget' but I have to ask. I didn't think it worked in FSX either but it does :)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Oh I expect Ben will get it working! :lol:

Yes, I tried holding the buttons down and remapping them again. I even threw in a couple of hail marys just to be on the safe side. Let's see if Ben can see what I missed :doh: