The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Sound Cards

Post by Filonian »

Hi all,

After a traumatic head banging re-format of my HD, I am still having problems with my sound card - Audigy Sound Blaster - am about ready to take a lump hammer to it.

Could any kind soul recommend a reasonably priced replacement?

Thanks in advance,

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

andy

Post by andy »

Graham,
Have you tried downloading new drivers for it?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I recommend the hammer Graham, Creative produce... well.... interesting products. :wink:

Plenty of other very good, and less expensive alternatives :smile:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I have a s/h Hercules Muse XL thats not doing anything at the moment, that always seemed to serve me well IIRC. Havent used it for a year or two but has quite a few features.

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Ben Watson wrote:I recommend the hammer Graham, Creative produce... well.... interesting products. :wink:

Plenty of other very good, and less expensive alternatives :smile:
I understand what you are saying Ben, but I recently stumped up the pennies (!!!!) for the new X-Fi card and haven't regretted it yet. For playing audio/MP3 etc it is the dogs dangly bits; in FS9 it's actually given me an extra 3-5 FPS!! Mind you, I've not flown any of Ricks stuff since I installed it, and I seem to remember they were the one's that Creative didn't seem to like.

AndyG

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Creative = Shite full stop.

Do yourself a favour and stay well clear.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

I think the Muse XL is based on the CM8738 chipset - the same as many of the cheap sound cards.

I've got a few Audigy 1 scattered about my PCs - real pain to re-install. First load the drivers that come on CD, then the upgrade files and finally a new driver. Each install removes the old ones, but will not install unless the old one is there! After 5 reboots, it works.

Anyway Graham, is there any sound harware on the motherboard that you can use. Some of the newer stuff is reckoned to be ok. And it's vheap if you already have it.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Thanks for all the replies chaps.

Have just about got my system set up again - 'twas a real pain in the posterior, but seems to be settling down.

Steve, I did manage to download the driver update this time round - first time ever I have managed to do it for some reason. Probably me being a numpty.

Salvation could be at hand via a pal I used to work with. Don't know yet what variety yet though.

Failing that, Toby V has made me a very genous off on his old one.

Once agai, many thanks all.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.