McAfee or Kyspersky?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: McAfee or Kyspersky?

Post by Tomliner »

On the basis of better the devil you know, I've stayed with Norton over the years. I've never knowingly had a problem and the last renewal cost me only £18 at Costco. Once in a while I'll install the freeware version of Malwarebytes and run it. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Aharon wrote: Anti-virus softwares can protect your computers but cannot protect your computers against any NEW viruses being invented daily. For example, on March 1, you updated anti virus files to protect your computer but your pc will be defenseless against a new virus being invented and spread throughout on March 2 or 3.

Regards,

Aharon
Not quite the case because some anti-virus software employs heuristic analysis to detect previously unknown viruses as well as new versions of viruses in the wild. I can't vouch for the effectiveness of this but I know Avast uses the heuristic analysis and so far it has blocked all the baddies!

Nigel²

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Yer pays yer money :dunno:

Or not :-#
George

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

GHD wrote:Yer pays yer money :dunno:

Or not :-#
Not, if you use Defender...The reason I gave up Avast was that even though It was not the free version, it tried to force me to buy more software to do something it had always done before...I popup Avast label just stopped me doing what I had done for years and tried to make me buy another piece of their software...So I said "Bugger You Avast" and uninstalled it and replaced it with the free version of Avast...Then when that version did exactly the same thing, I said goodbye to Avast for ever.

One warning about MacAfee...I stuffs your registry full of itself and is extremely invasive, making it very difficult to get rid of. If fact years ago when I had a great deal of difficulty removing it, I solved the problem by installing the latest version fully and then immediately UNinstalled it. Crapcleaner then finished the job nicely for me...While I'm on the subject of CCleaner, I have discovered that Windows10 stuffs masses of junk into your computer every time you use a browser and also completely Fragments drive C:/ in minutes. I use Ccleaner every morning after booting up and it is quite normal to see 300 MBs of Browser and Windows CRAP thrown out. Windows 10 boots up very quickly and I like that, but it certainly seems to be an extremely inefficient operating system.

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

...and the debate goes on....

I've used McAfee off and on for years. It's been a love/hate relationship. I tried Norton for awhile with my prior computer and it really impacted the system memory, so I went back to McAfee.

When I got my current Dell computer I tried MS Essentials only to contract a virus and had to reinstall the OS. After getting things back to normal, I went back to McAfee only to have it quarantine files associated with my FS9 install of the VFR Superbug and CS C-130. Since then I've gone onto FSX and learned how to control McAfee a little better. Since then I've only encountered issues with some of the Milviz products, specifically their night_lighting.exe.

My biggest headache with McAfee is that if it detects a false-positive, there is no warning. It just puts the file into quarantine. Sometimes its a challenge to restore the file, then exclude it from future scans. There is one setting I made that seems to have prevented this as I haven't had any major issues since. McAfee still updates automatically and runs scans as scheduled. Getting into the program to control what, when and where to scan can be a challenge. McAfee is useless when it comes to online help.

BTW - when I first discovered the problem with the VRS Superbug false-positive, McAfee responded with mention of their DAT file but they never explained how to install it. I will likely change to another AV program, but not until I replace my current computer.

--WH

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I think we have been through this before.....I seem to remember saying that I use AVG pay version on mine & my wife's laptops, & I used to use it on my Desktop, but since my son gave me his desktop about 3 years ago - which had Sophos loaded - he was allowed to as he used it for work, but when that licence ran out I then went to Sophos Home which is free.
Sophos ( & Opera) both seem to flag up dodgy sites - not pursued them any further than changing sites!
Both AVG & Sophos appear to work very nicely in the background & do not seem to affect performance, with AVG updating every so often & Sophos seemingly all the time! Malwarebites is still used with M$ updates.
To me McAfee always seemed intrusive (came loaded with my laptop) as did Norton, but that was yonks ago!
Keith

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Sophos seems to get a pretty +ve review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gBveCQyVOc
Alex

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Sophos is (or was) used by UK government agencies...........
Keith

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

I can confirm, Sophos is used by Police systems too. Seems quite good as we've never been hit.

Paul C

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

When at Lincoln City Council we had Sophos and as far as I can remember we were never hit.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.