HMS Ark Royal

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

kit
Trident
Trident

Post by kit »

After spotting the Ark on flightsim.com I also found the video that's been there for a while. Don't know how I missed that.....

My wife (she's a big Ark fan too....) and I sat there totally wiped out by it, the 'Sailing' sound track and all those Phantoms and Buccs doing their thing are just amazing. Superby well done you guys.

Just off to arrange a high volume feed to the stereo and I'll run it all again..... :dance:
Regards
Kit

merlin101
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by merlin101 »

Anyone know if someones working on a RN ai set? Gone quiet with it lately, was looking forward to RN F4's!

chockhead819
Meteor
Meteor

Post by chockhead819 »

I went on a "jolly" in an 819 seaking from Prestwick & we flew over the ARK, she was about halfway through the dismantling & it was sad then. Makes me think about the Poor Hermes (Viraat) no doubt she'll be dragged onto the beaches in India when her times up.
Must admit the day I was drafted off her after the Falklands the 5 of us in the ships landrover were all crying.

bones
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by bones »

Sorry to mention this but I hit a slight snag in FS2004 - no deck textures.

On checking the texture folder I found several bitmaps are formatted to 32bit whilst the rest are mostly DXT3 (and a few DXT1). I know my system doesn't like 32bit textures (I have no idea why but I suspect my old video card) and changing them to DXT3 solved the problem - and gave me lights.

bones

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Texturing this model was a project in itselft, I know Fraser had quite a time with getting everything crisp., but as you can see did a bang up job.

Good to see you sorted out the problem for your rig, and that second shot is just wicked.

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Seaking, re ensign, is it in the right place, this is the Manila Ark.

Rich

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

kit wrote:After spotting the Ark on flightsim.com I also found the video that's been there for a while. Don't know how I missed that.....

My wife (she's a big Ark fan too....) and I sat there totally wiped out by it, the 'Sailing' sound track and all those Phantoms and Buccs doing their thing are just amazing. Superby well done you guys.

Just off to arrange a high volume feed to the stereo and I'll run it all again..... :dance:
Hey Kit,

Glad you and your wife liked the Video too, I had a lot of fun making that.

I mean come on, it had to be Rod Stewart and Sailing didn't it?!!

Sketchy

(Fraser)

kit
Trident
Trident

Post by kit »

Fraser,
sketchy74 wrote: Glad you and your wife liked the Video too, I had a lot of fun making that.

I mean come on, it had to be Rod Stewart and Sailing didn't it?!!
You bet we did, run it around 4-5 times now too :lol:

And as you say, it could ONLY be Rod for the sound track.
Regards
Kit

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Hey Kit

If you really like the Ark that much, you should look into getting the whole Sailor program on dvd.
I only had my original on VHS from years ago, I got mine on dvd from Ebay

It also comes with another episode called 8 years on where the camera crew catch with some of the star players 8 years after the first one was made.

Just a thought for you.

kit
Trident
Trident

Post by kit »

Seaking,
Seaking wrote: It also comes with another episode called 8 years on where the camera crew catch with some of the star players 8 years after the first one was made.

Just a thought for you.
Terrific! Thanks for that, I never knew it was available on DVD. I have the original series that I recorded at the time but it's well knackered by now.
Regards
Kit