If filthy weather isn't enough

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

paulsl
Trident
Trident

If filthy weather isn't enough

Post by paulsl »

Things could get more trying....

passenger-planes-propeller-shears-off-in-midflight

Everything you need to know about the quality of Australian journalism is implied in the 3rd paragraph from the end 8)

Paul
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: If filthy weather isn't enough

Post by FlyTexas »

Yikes! :-O Better the number two prop cutting loose than the number one prop. :worried: Glad everyone's ok. :)

Brian

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

paulsl wrote: Everything you need to know about the quality of Australian journalism is implied in the 3rd paragraph from the end

Paul
I think you are being a bit hard , Paul. The proposition is not as obvious as it might be thought , and there was a time when staying in the air after loss of one engine depended on how much you could throw out and how quickly ! Think Anson, Oxford etc and there are still quite a few aeroplanes around where loss at a critical moment is not something to be relished - the Twin Comanche is an example but there are others as well even extending up the range as far as the KingAir

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Quite remarkable it didn't damage the aircraft :-O

My old favourite, the Rapide, is another aircraft whereby if you lose an engine on takeoff with the aircraft anywhere near MTOW.. you WILL come down. Taking off from Heathrow wouldn't be a problem though. You could land back on the runway and taxi in :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Very very lucky. Thankfully no-one was hurt.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Very lucky indeed, good thing they were only 10mn from there destination and therefore fairly light.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I am still wondering why nobody has located the loose prop. yet. :dunno:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I am still wondering why nobody has located the loose prop. yet. :dunno:
Probably being used as a ceiling fan for the hot weather!!

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

cstorey wrote:
paulsl wrote: Everything you need to know about the quality of Australian journalism is implied in the 3rd paragraph from the end

Paul
I think you are being a bit hard , Paul. The proposition is not as obvious as it might be thought , and there was a time when staying in the air after loss of one engine depended on how much you could throw out and how quickly ! Think Anson, Oxford etc and there are still quite a few aeroplanes around where loss at a critical moment is not something to be relished - the Twin Comanche is an example but there are others as well even extending up the range as far as the KingAir
My issue is more with this "Certified Airplane Engineer" and his comments than the reporting itself. For a so-called "professional", he was quite unprofessional in his comments and doesn't help the situation at all. For all his education, he doesn't seem to have a lot of understanding of history or aerodynamics. In all the complete propeller separations in history, only rarely is there damage done to the airplane by the propeller. When it initially separates, it moves ahead of the engine, then as the inertia reduces and blade drag takes effect, it will be pulled to the side and down, passing harmlessly underneath the aircraft. Even when a propeller sheds only its blades, it tends to only cause minor damage to the aircraft.

Here's a great video of an actual inflight separation - https://youtu.be/2MEapiGMbxw?t=10s

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Chris Trott wrote:
Here's a great video of an actual inflight separation - https://youtu.be/2MEapiGMbxw?t=10s
I'm always confused as to why this is called a 'dead stick landing'? The stick is still very much operational. It's the engines ability to provide thrust that's knackered! The pilot retains control of the elevators and ailerons (the rudder too, but I've not heard of a 'dead rudder' landing).

Just a thought and credit to the pilot for a safe landing.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...