If you need good laugh at British airport

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Re: If you need good laugh at British airport

Post by SkippyBing »

From reading elsewhere I believe part of the problem is the model of 737 being used. As they've stretched the thing and altered the wing it's become more temperamental in the landing stages. The problem is identifying a suitable alternative that wouldn't be a one off for the airline involved.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Yes I did wonder if there might be something with better crosswind performance that might be able to land more easily. I assume it wasn't possible to orient the runway in any other direction and I guess there's nothing else that could be erected nearby to redirect / calm / influence the winds in any way. Rather difficult situation.

Still a more embarassing airport building project is to be found with my northerly neighbour, where in other airports in the same city you can buy this postcard:

I flew over BER about 5 years ago and in all honesty, it looked like a complete airport, but as I understand there are problems with the foundations, with the security and with the smoke extraction system in the case of fire, which they designed to redirect smoke downwards or something daft.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I like the play on "international" vs "intentional" :lol: :lol:

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Right chaps, this is how you do it ;) . Only a few months after I flew on this aircraft as HB-IXS with Swiss from LCY to ZRH, it has been withdrawn from their fleet and is now with Atlantic Star...
...who just landed it on St.Helena.

https://youtu.be/VsIEmiSskMI

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

blanston12 wrote:Not certain FSX would simulate the wind shear correctly. Also the 737-800 has a pretty long range, up to 5,510nm depending on range. More than enough to fly out from Africa, make several attempts and get home, especially if empty.
Or just divert to Ascension.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Good to see the RJ-100 could land successfully. Too bad the aircraft is out of production since 2001, they won't have too long before they have to find something else.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Better weather? Better aircraft for the job?
Glad they did it. :agree:

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Apparently they landed in the opposite direction with a tailwind but less of a crosswind component at the opposite end of th runway. I'm not a real pilot (as most of us on this forum are not :lol: ) but to my untrained eye, he looks to 'float' quite a way down the runway, suggesting he came in relatively fast. However the RJ has pretty large spoilers and a fairly sturdy undercarriage (perhaps better wheel brakes too, given no reverse thrust?) and it looks like he was able to bring the speed down pretty quickly. I'm guessing the 737 wouldn't take kindly to one attempting the same thing, or it simply might not manage it at all.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

blanston12 wrote:Or just divert to Ascension.
Someone said "The official diversionary airport is in Angola Widewake airport. Ascension is not recognized as an alternative airport as it is a US Air Base (although British owned) but I doubt they would refuse a real emergency"

Regards,

Aharon

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Looks like they are getting serious with St Helena airport.

Look at this new news item as seen on this hyperlink:

http://www.sainthelena.gov.sh/category/news/

And they are using Windhoek International Airport as official refueling stopover for flights to and back from St Helena airport

Regards,

Aharon