Young Female Captain

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Young Female Captain

Post by Nigel H-J »

Came across this whilst browsing PPrune and it certainly has brought up some interest.

A 26 year old captain paired with a 19 year old first officer, she might not be the youngest captain of a pax airline and when you look back to the 2nd world war even 19 to 20 year olds were flying Lancasters etc with huge responsibilities but just wonder whether or not one should have at least years experience before taking the left hand seat, after all, captaining an aircraft is not just about flying it but also managing every aspect including crew, passengers and whatever is thrown at you.

Basically what I am trying to say is that should age be favoured against experience?

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/26/busin ... index.html

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Re: Young Female Captain

Post by Archer »

I guess there are various ways of looking at a situation like this. The first one that comes to mind is that she obviously passed the Captaincy training and exams so I wouldn't doubt her ability. The old adage of 'a bucket of experience and a bucket of luck' agrees with you but as you pointed out yourself, younger persons have defended our freedom and carried heavy responsibilities while doing so.

I'm actually comforted by the fact that we are talking about a young female captain here. Statistics show that they lack the 'sillyness' gene that causes youngish twentysomething males to create an anomaly in mortality rates... 8) :hide:
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Young Female Captain

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Well done to her. This is typical of EasyJet's publicity machine though; I'd be very surprised if they were crewed together as the article implies, with her as a newly qualified captain and him being a very junior co-pilot. Their ability wouldn't be an issue, but the combined experience level would be.

If they were genuinely crewed together I may go to another airline! :lol:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]