Is it my Age?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Is it my Age?

Post by airboatr »

Airspeed wrote:Yes, too much molly-coddling going on.
When our grandsons say: "Can I have some cordial?"
I say: "No, because you didn't say please." [Airspeed=Grumpy old]
My answer would be. " I don't know.. Can You"? :agree:

Try "May" .. keed. ;)

saltysplash
Comet
Comet

Post by saltysplash »

I dont think its a case of missing out on family life just because the parents are working, after all, many of us grew up as latchkey kids letting ourselves in after school, and during school holidays there was no child care issues, we woke up, parents went to work, we watched the Banana Splits and The Flashing Blade on TV in the morning and when TV shut down to the Test Card after childrens stuff we went out and did what kids did....for me and Lee Tweedale it was exploring the Moors and the Viaduct Works while they were building the M62 section between Rochdale and Huddersfield.

I think these days its more about lack of attention given. even going down to the local Rec you see the kids playing on the swings and Mum with her head down checking her latest update on social media and how many 'likes' she has.

Now we have 2 sprogs aged 5 & 7 and they are both keen computer gamers and You Tube viewers but we never just leave them to get on with it. We often play online games together, one on the laptop and one on the desktop and take an active interest in what they are doing. The only thing i draw a line at is when they ask me to join them in their game of Barbies :worried:
We also at least one evening a week play board games with them before bedtime.

Times change and so does lesuire time activities but that doesnt mean we have to leave the kids to their own devices which is what appears to happen now.
Sitting down to eat together at least once a week is also something sadly lacking.

We also read to our two before lights out. We have just finished the complete Faraway Tree stories by Enid Blyton. They loved it......in fact, loved it so much I was doing the school run the other day and both girls kept calling out to me to speed up as 'Dame Slap' was outside trying to get in :dunno:
They now wish to move on to the Secret Seven.

Interestingly, the oldest was given a new 3 book set of the Faraway Tree stories a few weeks ago. I compared it with our old original Volume and found that various things have changed in the modern editions.

The Characters Dick and Fanny have been replaced by Rick and Franny, and there is a whole chapter missing (i think from the Land of Toys) where Golliwogs took an active part in the Original narrative.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

airboatr wrote:
Airspeed wrote:Yes, too much molly-coddling going on.
When our grandsons say: "Can I have some cordial?"
I say: "No, because you didn't say please." [Airspeed=Grumpy old]
My answer would be. " I don't know.. Can You"? :agree:

Try "May" .. keed. ;)
Ah, you sound just like my mother - she used that line on me all the time even if I added a "please" on the end! And heaven forbid if I ever dropped an "H."

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

:-O your mother had a deep resonating voice.

:hide:
:lol:

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

It is a wonder that some parents are not sued for "neglecting" their own offspring. In our area almost all parents seem to have to go to work, one might assume to pay quite extraordinarily high mortgages so that they may live in houses or areas they really cannot afford even from their joint incomes.

The above is not the whole tale, not even half of it. Picture this - every morning parents rise and dress their children, some of whom are babies not yet able to walk, and away they go to one of any number of local nurseries sometimes by 07:30 hrs. Meanwhile Ma and Pa then go in their own cars to their separate places of employment some part time and many fulltime employees. So to the mortgage they have now added the car and nursery payments. I listened to one mum who was still married to a working husband explain to me that she worked 5 full time days a week but she had to spend all her pay for three days on one child's nursery fees. The break will come she said when all their child start at the local schools.

At that point the nursery fees stop But come the age of 17 and every child here seems to be given some sort of car, one or two I have heard demand their own transport as of right! Note also that children now have to be in education until they reach18 yrs. of age.

A friend of mine manages a pre-school establishment and has commented on an increasing number three to four year olds that turn up wearing a nappy, a few cannot speak sentences because they are placed in front of a TV by their parents, these children actually have to be taught to talk!!!

The point I a making is that today many children, almost from the word go, are placed in the care and influenced by people not related to them in any way, for far many more hours per week than they spend with parents. So how do they relate to mum and dad? Well this cannot apply to all children and parents but it does apply to many. From a child's point of view they live, and may be fed by, two people called mum and dad who provide almost everything yet spend very little time with the children. In the view of many young parents discipline is solely in the hands of teachers who incidentally have few meaningful means of correcting bad behaviour - NB mobile phones have absolutely no place in the classroom.

It is no wonder that many children have no respect for their peers, relations or elders today. They are not given affair start.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

airboatr wrote::-O your mother had a deep resonating voice.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not so deep but certainly resonating! :agree:
Maybe you should invest in a good dictionary. :poke:
When used as a verb "sounds" means to convey a certain impression when heard or read :hide:

Nigel²

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I'll forward your suggestion to the Google Android auto-correct spelling programme thingy department.

Scratch that

Quasi auto-correct spelling.. Bluh bluh..
Note
See what I got when I typed program? Programme :doh:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

At the check out, I had just finished paying when mother and brats appeared behind me at the till. I said, tongue in cheek, that it was such a great pleasure to come across such well behaved and polite children.

The mother - well suffice to say I learned a few more cuss words that day.

Perhaps this has a bearing.

Don't worry Nigel, you are quite normal.
Graham, how that made me laugh, though in reality it isn't funny. I have found that some young mothers' have attitude and one instance occured when a female pulled out in front of me from a give way sign with 2 children in the back of her car, I had to brake hard and sounded my horn in an attempt to make her aware that I was there, in reponse she gave me a one fingered gesture, now what does that teach her children? :dunno:

Hobby, you have hit the nail right on the head with that post and I cannot agree more with the points you brought up. Another point that came to mind was a documentary I watched last year and it concerned gangs involving young adults in Manchester, I remember one young male aged 15 or 16 years old who was asked why he hangs around with a gang his reply?

"Both my parents are out working and when they come home they are too tired to bother with me, that is why I am a member of a gang, they take interest in me and I feel part of their family........Maybe this young males' explanation is an exception I don't know, as he was the only one to give this answer.

On the whole having read all of your comments it has made me feel a bit more 'normal'

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Correction to my message above: "They are not given affair start." for "not given affair start" please read "not given a fair start."

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

nigelb wrote:
airboatr wrote::-O your mother had a deep resonating voice.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not so deep but certainly resonating! :agree:
Maybe you should invest in a good dictionary. :poke:
When used as a verb "sounds" means to convey a certain impression when heard or read :hide:

Nigel²
Nigel²
We've got way worse problems...
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/09/ ... aring.html

:worried: